cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwinert
Community Member

Rich Content Editor - Removing Items

Hello, I've been reading about the Rich Text Editor, and I know you can add some customization tool tabs to it, but is it possible to remove all the tabs except for one? For a course we are designing, we want students to submit an audio recording, and while there is a file submission question choice, it may be easier for some students without recording software to use the "record/upload media button" on the Rich Content editor. In order to simplify the process, I was trying to see if it is possible to remove other items from the tool bar, or if I can impose my own CSS on the quiz page at all in order to hide the other items from sight. 

After reading a lot of different articles, the chance of success looks low, but please let me know any information you have.

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @gwinert  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I think you will be able to accomplish what you want without having to customize the Rich Content Editor. If the assignment is designed as the Online | Media submission (not file submission) type, students are presented with the simple options of uploading existing media recordings or recording one on the fly, not through the RCE.

Here are the relevant guides for your consideration:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10151 

How do I submit an online assignment? 

Would that work?

gwinert
Community Member

I think that these may be possible solutions to what we want to do with our course, however, we might want audio submissions in the form of a quiz question because we are trying to collect multiple audio recordings, and also, we might want it in the middle of a a series of other questions for a quiz.

However, I will look into what you suggested! Thank you.

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

It is interesting to consider how when a student is provided with a text box reply (via Discussions and/or Assignments), they may get some options that are not ideal for their grade level (this may be an exclusively K-12 concern) or specific need for that work. The example I'll use is the Flickr search option via the image button (despite the best network filters, Flickr frequently reveals less-than-appropriate images). LTI tools are also sometimes a distraction to students. They were installed for teacher use ,yet they appear to student roles as well. Maybe one day there will be a teacher-driven assignment setting in which 'Simple text box' can be provisioned to students . . .

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gwinert ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie