cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_vdeerden-blaa
Community Member

Roll call attendance report missing data

Jump to solution

Does anyone have experience with the use of roll call attendance in multiple sections on 1 course? When running the report, not all data of all sections comes through, while in Attendance on the course itself we can see that attendance has been filled in for the specific date?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @m_vdeerden-blaa  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and sorry to hear that you're having this issue. Having run many reports for faculty myself in classes that were cross-listed and/or had multiple sections, I can assure you that this behavior is NOT normal.  In fact, that's one of its benefits, unlike the cumbersome way that multi-sectioned courses must have attendance taken.

And that leads to my first question.  I know that you said you can see attendance has been filled in, but are you certain that it was filled in properly for all sections?  The key is the little drop-down menu at the top of the Roll Call screen, as shown here in a sample class I just used:

Multi-section attendance drop-down

(I assume this has already been noted--since there would otherwise be a lot of missing names on the default initial screen--but I'm just making sure!  Also, note that the calendar will annoyingly always flip to the current date when switching between sections, so if retroactively taking attendance one must always reset the calendar, too, after selecting the section. Sigh.)

Based on a test class that I just did this in now, however, all sections should indeed be on that attendance report.  So if indeed the different sections each had attendance taken properly, then this should probably be reported to Instructure support.  (Help>>Report a Problem.)

Hope this helps a bit, Mieke.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @m_vdeerden-blaa  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and sorry to hear that you're having this issue. Having run many reports for faculty myself in classes that were cross-listed and/or had multiple sections, I can assure you that this behavior is NOT normal.  In fact, that's one of its benefits, unlike the cumbersome way that multi-sectioned courses must have attendance taken.

And that leads to my first question.  I know that you said you can see attendance has been filled in, but are you certain that it was filled in properly for all sections?  The key is the little drop-down menu at the top of the Roll Call screen, as shown here in a sample class I just used:

Multi-section attendance drop-down

(I assume this has already been noted--since there would otherwise be a lot of missing names on the default initial screen--but I'm just making sure!  Also, note that the calendar will annoyingly always flip to the current date when switching between sections, so if retroactively taking attendance one must always reset the calendar, too, after selecting the section. Sigh.)

Based on a test class that I just did this in now, however, all sections should indeed be on that attendance report.  So if indeed the different sections each had attendance taken properly, then this should probably be reported to Instructure support.  (Help>>Report a Problem.)

Hope this helps a bit, Mieke.

View solution in original post