cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zcr34b
Community Participant

Rotating Joint Group Discussions

Jump to solution

I'd like to have my students debate each other on the topic of the week.  So, I've split them in to 4 groups.  How can I use the Groups function such that the two groups discussing a topic have a mutual forum (i.e. not individual group forums) but that the other two groups have their own mutual forum?  In other words, I like for half the class to be in one forum, and the other half in another, but for that to be able to change and rotate.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

When you explain it as you did above it actually made perfect sense. Smiley Happy

From what you said it sounds like what you've suggested - "one group set for each debate pair (groups 1&2, groups 3&4, etc. for a total of 6)" - is what you would actually want to use when setting up your discussion. In this case you would use the group functionality, but use the groupings of groups (groups 1&2, groups 3&4, etc) and not individual groups (group 1, group 2, group 3, group 4). I'm actually not sure what you would gain by having the students grouped individually in Canvas unless you'd like the students to talk/strategize within their group outside of the actual discussion going on that week.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@zcr34b ​, if you want everyone in both groups to be able to see and potentially participate in a discussion then you can't use the Canvas group functions. If you do, then it will prevent students from seeing what the other group is doing.

I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to do, but if it sounds like you might need two different discussion forums for each "topic." Yet, I could be completely misunderstanding what you're trying to do. Could you give a more specific example?

zcr34b
Community Participant

Sure.  It's pretty complicated and I'm going to have a heck of a time explaining it to the students.  But I'm hoping for a really big payoff.

Basically, I'm going to have the class split in to 4 teams, and each week they will debate a different time.  So, week 1 will see team 1 debate team 2 and team 3 debate team 4.  Then, in week 2 team 1 will debate team 4 and team 2 will debate team 3.  And so on, as they will take turns debating other teams and taking yes and no positions on given issues.

The way I've set it up right now is to actually have many different group sets - one for designating who's on which team, and then one group set for each debate pair (groups 1&2, groups 3&4, etc. for a total of 6).  That way, they are all party to a given discussion and are graded for it, but are not party to other groups' debates and are not graded for those.

Does that make sense?  I should refine explanation here before the semester starts!  Hopefully it will be easier on their end than on mine.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

When you explain it as you did above it actually made perfect sense. Smiley Happy

From what you said it sounds like what you've suggested - "one group set for each debate pair (groups 1&2, groups 3&4, etc. for a total of 6)" - is what you would actually want to use when setting up your discussion. In this case you would use the group functionality, but use the groupings of groups (groups 1&2, groups 3&4, etc) and not individual groups (group 1, group 2, group 3, group 4). I'm actually not sure what you would gain by having the students grouped individually in Canvas unless you'd like the students to talk/strategize within their group outside of the actual discussion going on that week.

View solution in original post

zcr34b
Community Participant

Ok, glad we're on the same page.  I was hoping for a slightly simpler way, but if it works it works.

The only thing I gain from doing it this way is that there's not a bunch of empty points in the mix if everyone is assigned to each forum but only told to participate in half of them.  I haven't explored the rest of group functionality in Canvas, so I'm not sure about your last point.  For this setup, it's a bit of struggle, but I'm sure there's some more redeeming ways to use it.