Rubrics + External Tools

Jump to solution
angelah
Community Explorer

Rubrics + External Tools

Currently, I have multiple courses linked to External Tools wherein the grades from the tools are automatically updated in my Canvas Gradebook. Within Canvas, I have assignments created with the external link embedded to take students directly to the proper assignment. (TestOut and MindTap specifically)
I can set a possible amount of points, even if it doesn't align with the pre-programmed assignment, but I can not find a place to add a rubric. I would like students to get immediate feedback if they are required to re-take an assessment.

Photos included.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @angelah  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  What you'll want to first do is create your assignment like normal...without selecting an external tool.  Add the title and the directions for your assignment along with selecting "Online" and one of the options such as "File Uploads".  Then, build your rubric as usual.  [You can even use this handy "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) by  @James ‌ called Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.]  Once you have completed building your rubric for the assignment, go back to edit your assignment, and this time select "External Tool", and then select the LTI external tool that you want to use.  The Canvas rubric you built will still be there...even though it is hidden from your view.  After you save the settings on your assignment, you can go into your "Student View", go to the Gradebook, click on the name of the assignment, and then you'll see a link on the right side of the screen to "Show Rubric".

There is a Feature Idea currently open for voting called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4160-lti-external-tools-ability-to-add-rubric" modifiedtitle="....  If you feel that this Feature Idea aligns with something you would like to see implemented by Instructure, please consider adding your vote and maybe post a comment letting them know why this kind of feature would be important to you.  They do read our comments and feedback.

I hope this information will be of help to you, Angela.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this information.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @angelah ...

I have some good news for you, I think.  I just happened to glance at the Deploy Notes from Instructure for June 21, 2023.  Check this out!

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

See the section on Assignments: External Tools Add Rubric Button.  😊

View solution in original post

0 Likes