cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhulsey
Community Champion

Rubrics?

Jump to solution

So after a long winter's nap, we have started the spring term. Now, when I grade assignments with a rubric, the rubric is HUGE because it is showing the detailed text for each criterion. This is new behavior. Was it part of a recent update?

Is anyone else seeing this? I have tested in both Chrome and Firefox on a Windows machine, and the issue occurs in both browsers.

Thanks!

1 Solution
13 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dhulsey ...

Could you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?  I know there were some updates a while back with rubric point ranges and also with the way that rubric criterion rows were built, but I'm not sure if either of those would have had any affect on what you're possibly seeing.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey,  @chofer ‌! How was your Christmas? Anyway, here is the full rubric as it appears outside of speedgrader:

264720_pastedImage_1.png

Here is what I see when I edit a criterion:

264731_pastedImage_3.png

Here is what I see in the speedgrader:

264721_pastedImage_2.png

Each criterion is taking up a huge amount of space: Basically, the speedgrader only used to show the description, but it is now also showing the long description. Formerly, a user had to click to see the long description. I am hoping this is not intended. Otherwise, I will have to go back and revise all of my rubrics that have some detail for students in the long description Smiley Sad 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dhulsey ‌...

Christmas was good!  I went to AZ and was able to get away from all this cold weather in WI for a while.

To answer your question, I *think* that some changes were made back on October 28th on how rubrics are created.  This is what I found in the Production Release Notes: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13179#jive_content_id_Ratings_Rubric_Descriptions.  I wonder if erinhallmark‌ might be able to confirm this more for you, however?

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Dallas,

Welcome to spring term! Yup, we've made a few rubrics changes in late 2017:

Enjoy!

Erin

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dhulsey ‌

I panicked and just checked my courses.  I am not seeing this behavior in my Grading Rubrics, and a review of the releases Erin mentioned, did not show this as a possibility.

Ticket time?

Kelley

Hi, Kelley,

I misunderstood that the problem is specifically noted in SpeedGrader. I'm looking into it. I know the outcomes team has been making some changes and one may have inadvertently gotten into SpeedGrader's view.

Thanks,

Erin

Hi Erin:

I checked my rubrics in Speedgrader, but that don't mean that Dallas isn't seeing something different. Let's hope he just has a little bug on his instance!

Thanks for staying on top of this one!

kelley

Hi, Kelley,

The link for viewing the long description optionally in rubrics seems to be missing (though outcomes are fine), which is why the entire description is showing. I've asked our product manager to investigate, as he doesn't remember us making that change intentionally.

Erin

Thanks, erinhallmark‌! I appreciate it, and I will be glad to file a ticket if I necessary. I will also ask my local tech support if they can duplicate what I am seeing. Smiley Happy