Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rraman1
Community Participant

Sandbox Instance

Jump to solution

Hi Canvas, 

I have seen many posts about a Canvas Sandbox Instance that is free but I am unable to locate a guide on how to get started with one. I see many people have a dummy canvas sandbox instance and is able to add users. I currently do not have a school canvas account and heard the sandbox instance is completely free. Please let me know!

Thank You,

Raghav

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rraman1 

Instructure Canvas does not offer a free sandbox with admin privileges. Anyone who is interested in exploring Canvas for possible purchase can use the Get a Demo link on the Instructure home page to inquire further:  https://www.instructure.com/

Alternatively, users can use Canvas's open source code to create and manage their own hosted instance, starting here: Canvas Dev & Friends - Instructure Tech Blog 

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rraman1 The link provided gives all the information you will need to get started with a self hosted instance. Please refer to the direct message conversation you and I have conducted for additional information about your multiple requests for a demo instance; as mentioned above, free trials are not available.

9 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @rraman1 ...

Are you asking about Canvas Free For Teachers?  If so, you can find out all about that via these links:

I hope one or more of these links will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

rraman1
Community Participant

Hi @chofer, No this is now what I am referring to. I am wondering if you could get me started with a Canvas Test Instance that is not related to FFT. (It has admin rights). I know people who have accounts like this so I am wondering if you can get me setup with one. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, @rraman1 ...

Unfortunately, I cannot do this.  You and I are most likely at different schools.  (I'm not sure where you are from, but I work at a Technical College in Wisconsin.)  So, you and I do not have access to each other's Canvas environments.  If your school has a paid Canvas environment, then you would want to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department.  They would be able to help you set up a "sandbox" course...or at least tell you what their policy is as it relates to "sandbox" courses.

I'm hoping this will help to answer your question....but please let me know if I'm still not understanding what you are asking...thanks!

rraman1
Community Participant

Ok Thank You @chofer , My school does not currently have a Canvas LMS Platform and does not want to purchase it if it is something we have not gotten to experience. Our district is a district that is helping virtual students and we are currently using Google Classroom. We found Canvas but it does cost a lot and we think it is not worth buying it if it is not something that we know all of our staff and students will use. I was wondering if you had a test platform that has the admin features enabled so I can see what the Canvas platform is like and if it is something our school is going to use. If not, could you make a sandbox for me to play in in see the features?

Thank You,

Raghav

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @rraman1 ...

Again, I do not work for Instructure (the company that makes Canvas), so I cannot provide you with a "sandbox" test environment.  (I work at a Technical College in Wisconsin.)  A paid Canvas account gives you access to more administrative tools (among other things) compared to the free account that you can create in a Free For Teachers environment (no administrative rights available in FFT accounts).  If you are curious to learn more about the administrative side of Canvas, there are lots of video tutorials and written tutorials that you can take a look at:

I would recommend that you start out with the admin video tutorials.  Then, if you want to take a deeper dive into learning more about the admin side of Canvas, you can look through any of the written documentation that I've linked for you.

Hope this helps a bit...

rraman1
Community Participant

@chofer Can you connect me with someone from canvas to get me started with a sandbox?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rraman1 

Instructure Canvas does not offer a free sandbox with admin privileges. Anyone who is interested in exploring Canvas for possible purchase can use the Get a Demo link on the Instructure home page to inquire further:  https://www.instructure.com/

Alternatively, users can use Canvas's open source code to create and manage their own hosted instance, starting here: Canvas Dev & Friends - Instructure Tech Blog 

rraman1
Community Participant

Hi @Stefanie Could you please tell me more about the canvas hosted instance. And also, do you have a free trial or something you can get. If not, could you see if you could create me something like a free trial? 

Thanks, 

@rraman1 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rraman1 The link provided gives all the information you will need to get started with a self hosted instance. Please refer to the direct message conversation you and I have conducted for additional information about your multiple requests for a demo instance; as mentioned above, free trials are not available.