cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidi1
Community Contributor

Scheduler link

Jump to solution

I have a couple of assignments which require that students sign up for events as part of the assignment.  Is there a way I can link directly to the Scheduler sign up from the assignment?

Thanks,

Heidi

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good question and it is quite possible that things have been updated. Did you happen to try what Rob suggested?

--------------

There's a different method I mentioned in . In addition to the browser URL bar shown when using Scheduler itself, one other source of appointment group links is the Syllabus. An instructor or TA could:

• Begin to edit an Assignment.
  • In another browser tab, navigate to the Syllabus and locate the name of the appointment group in the Syllabus table​ (these will be listed by the date of the first available time slot). Right-click or Ctrl-click, then use your browser's link-copy command ("Copy Link Address", "Copy Link Location") to copy the appointment group's URL to your clipboard.
  • Return to the Assignment you're editing and paste the link where you want it to appear.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@heidi1 ​, I wasn't sure, but tested an idea and it seemed to work (this was for both the test student and I masqueraded as a real student).

Steps:

1. Set up your appointment group.
  2. Once appointment group is set up click on the "You can sign up for this." You should see the expanded view of all the days/times that students can sign up for an appointment.
  3. Copy the URL for THIS page.
  4. Go to your assignment and add the URL as a link in your assignment directions (or wherever you want the link to show up).

When I tested this as my test student (and a real student) when the link was clicked on it took them directly to the schedule for that specific appointment group.

Hope this helps!

RobDitto
Community Champion

Awesome technique,  @kona ​ - many of our instructors do that exactly.

There's a different method I mentioned in . In addition to the browser URL bar shown when using Scheduler itself, one other source of appointment group links is the Syllabus. An instructor or TA could:

• In another browser tab, navigate to the Syllabus and locate the name of the appointment group in the Syllabus table​ (these will be listed by the date of the first available time slot). Right-click or Ctrl-click, then use your browser's link-copy command ("Copy Link Address", "Copy Link Location") to copy the appointment group's URL to your clipboard.
  • Return to the Assignment you're editing and paste the link where you want it to appear.
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@heidi1 ​, you've received two excellent solutions, so I'm going to mark this question as "assumed answered."

heidi1
Community Contributor

Thanks, Kona. I cannot get the "You can sign up for this" link. Is it

because I am working in an unpublished course attached to Fall term dates?

RobDitto
Community Champion

During  @kona ​'s Step 2, you'll want to enable Student View​ in order to get that link.  This is because teachers can't sign up for appointment timeslots; they can only create them.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is my test course so I'm a teacher and a student, which is why I didn't catch that! Thanks for the missing step  @RobDitto ​!!

CarlaD07
Community Participant

@kona Hello. We have been trying to follow these instructions and have not been successful. I recognize this is an old post, so I was wondering if there was a chance Appointment Groups has been updated and maybe this work around no longer works. Or is we were just doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. We have tried the link, and on the students side they always just get taken to the calendar and then students have to click "Find Appointment" to get a list of options. Versus we were hoping it would automatically take the student directly to the appointment options for that particular Appointment Group. Any suggestions are appreciated.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good question and it is quite possible that things have been updated. Did you happen to try what Rob suggested?

--------------

There's a different method I mentioned in . In addition to the browser URL bar shown when using Scheduler itself, one other source of appointment group links is the Syllabus. An instructor or TA could:

• In another browser tab, navigate to the Syllabus and locate the name of the appointment group in the Syllabus table​ (these will be listed by the date of the first available time slot). Right-click or Ctrl-click, then use your browser's link-copy command ("Copy Link Address", "Copy Link Location") to copy the appointment group's URL to your clipboard.

View solution in original post

RobDitto
Community Champion

@kona's suggestion to use the Syllabus Course Summary link for an appointment group is exactly right - and often a great link to distribute in supplementary Announcements or emails to promote a signup.

This same link format also appears as the hyperlink for the title of each signup timeslot shown as a pop-up box in the Calendar, e.g. Laboratory Field Trip:

8b9ab085-0062-4ad1-bbef-fe8742390991

• The URL will have a format like https://yourschool.instructure.com/courses/cccccccc/appointment_groups/nnnnn. 
  • By promoting that hyperlink URL, or advising students to locate these links under Course Summary (provided that feature, and the Syllabus tab, are enabled) or in Calendar pop-ups, students will immediately see timeslots without having to click Find Appointment.  
  • Still, bear in mind that students will still need to use Find Appointment if they go to the Calendar via the usual global navigation Calendar icon.