cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsedia

School wide Enrollment Course

How can one get a school wide enrollment course set up for students? That is, have all students (or student grade levels) enrolled into a school wide course to receive announcements, information, events, etc. It would be very helpful. What would be the most efficient way to carry this out and to have students automatically enrolled (or dropped) through our SIS?

Tags (1)
4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dsedia , we have a course like this and have it sync with the current semester via our Student Information System - so the place where we register students, keep final grades, etc (not Canvas). As for the “how” we do this is above my level of expertise. I’m going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=788fffca-cf26-40b7-894f-7074c48ffb2...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=c4d9cca6-eeb0-42a1-809e-...‌ groups in the Community to see if they can help. 

MattHanes
Community Champion

Greetings  @dsedia , the way I accomplished this for our schools is to use the same process we use for putting the students in their normal classes. We generate the SIS CSV files (SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation) and upload those every night. So I use the courses.csv to create the school-wide course for each school. Then I use the section.csv to create a section for each grade level and a separate section for the faculty/staff. Finally I use the enrollments.csv file to enroll them into the proper sections of the courses. 

That's the gist of it but one additional layer is that not every school uses this course so I setup a flag in our SIS system that let's me determine which schools actually get their school-wide course built. When another school decides they want to use the school-wide courses, they just let me know and I activate that flag in the SIS system. Our database code that pulls together the courses, section, and enrollments CSV files checks to see if that flag is present to determine whether or not to add it to the CSV. That way I don't have to change the code each time a new school wants a school-wide course.

bneporadny
Community Champion

Hey  @dsedia ,

We do this at my school a couple different ways. The first and easiest way without having to much manual work is to set the course up in our SIS and then enroll the students into the course.  The other way which takes a little more manually intervention on my part as my schools programmer is that I can code into our enrollment process that says if you meet these certain criteria then you get enrolled into this course.  

Both of these ways utilize Canvas #api integration‌ to accomplish the end goal of getting the students or instructors enrolled into their courses in Canvas.

Brian

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dsedia ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos