cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macaulayl
Community Participant

Script to download syllabus file from all courses

Does anyone have a script they could share that would download all of the syllabi files for courses?  In essence, we would like to require faculty to post their syllabus on their Canvas course and then NOT have to email it to the person in charge of archiving/collecting the syllabi.  If we require something, we want to remove another requirement to build buy-in.

6 Replies
Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

Have you thought about using Syllabus Tracker? This is a great tool.

John Boekenoogen, PhD

Director of Academic Technology

University of Oklahoma

macaulayl
Community Participant

John, can you tell me more about this tool and what it does?  There wasn't much detail on the Github site and before I bug my networking and database colleagues to work this up, I want to be sure it does what I need!  I wondered because the new versions of these tools appear to CREATE a syllabus page easily.  I don't need that.  I am looking for a way to run a script that would find the file in a course that is the syllabus and download it for every course in a term.

Any additional insight you can provide would be most appreciated!  If you are using it and can show me what the output gives you, that would be awesome.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

macaulayl‌, this conversation might give you some ideas: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/98054 

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

Here are some screenshots from the tool Syllabus Tracker...

The first image is where you select the term and what department you want to look at...

299639_image 1.PNG

The second image is after you have selected the term it will give you some data, like how many syllabi are there for each department and which course has an active syllabus or not...

299640_image2.PNG

The third image is more detail information about each department...

1. The course name and hyperlink to the course syllabus

2. Hyperlink to the course itself in Canvas

3. The name of the teacher listed in the Canvas course

299641_image3.PNG

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

John Boekenoogen, PhD

Director of Academic Technology

University of Oklahoma

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, macaulayl...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for aout five months.  I'm happy to see that you've been getting some help from  @jrboek  and stefaniesanders.  Do you feel that your question has been resolved, or are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark that person's feedback as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this topic to post a message below letting us know how we might be of assistance.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since December 13, 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Linda.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

macaulayl
Community Participant

We are still trying to solve this problem.  I think the syllabus Tracker links to the syllabus PAGE in Canvas and not the actual syllabus file that a faculty member uploads to that page.  The file is what I need...sigh!