cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbowen
Community Member

Search Canvas Course Content

Jump to solution

Is there a way to search for certain topics inside the content of a Canvas course?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi John,

There is not really a "search" built into Canvas.  Depending on how your instructor has set up the course, you may be able to go to the "Modules" area an use the "find" function in your browser, but that really just lets you look for a text string in the module titles.  It doesn't really search through all the content.

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi John,

There is not really a "search" built into Canvas.  Depending on how your instructor has set up the course, you may be able to go to the "Modules" area an use the "find" function in your browser, but that really just lets you look for a text string in the module titles.  It doesn't really search through all the content.

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@johnbowen ...

I recently heard about a third-party LTI tool that integrates with Canvas called Atomic Search that you might want to check out.  I know that there is a cost to this, so you'd want to check with the people at Atomic Jolt and your school to see if it would be in your budget.

eric_t_jones
Community Member

Dear Michael - I also had questions about searching Canvas content. Unfortunately, it seems that there are many posts on this topic scattered across the Canvas Community boards. This results in less notice by Canvas developers.  The largest discussion on the topic that I can find is here. Could you repost your message there? Also, we all need to be asking our Canvas administrators at our schools to request content search. Thank you.

Atomic Search is apparently quite expensive, such that even a university the size of Oregon State with a huge eCampus program won't shell out the money. Canvas needs to have basic content search built in. Imagine Windows not offering search.

scombs426
Community Participant

We're new to Canvas, transitioning from Sakai.  The search capabilities within Sakai are being greatly missed.  Having no built-in search capability seems very odd.  Atomic Search is too expensive.  We've backed up files to OneDrive which can be searched but it's very puzzling there's nothing to search pages and files in Canvas.  It appears to be something that's been requested frequently since 2015 so it doesn't appear to be a priority.  Any other strategies used by other schools to house content where it can be searched easily?