Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathew

Search Canvas Discussion Posts

Jump to solution

I am a faculty and I use Canvas DISCUSSIONS a lot in my teaching. Often I want to look at a specific students responses to discussions that have happened through the whole semester. In other words, if over the course of a semester there were 20 different discussion threads and I want to find how one student, (let's say Kelly Nash) has responded to all the different discussions, I would like to be able to enter the student's name (say Kelly' Nash) in the search bar and get all of Kelly's responses as the output. Currently I do not think this is possible in Canvas. Am I right? Is there anyway I can do this? I must admit I do not understand the Canvas DISCUSSIONS search function at all. When I enter a keyword or a student's unique last name in the search bar I do not understand the results that show up (or the "no items") when I run  the search. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mathew , greetings! I'm sorry your question has sat here for so long without a response. You are correct that there is no way on the front end of Canvas to get this information. There is a way to count the number of posts for a course - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/01/02/how-to-count-student-discus... - but this wouldn't include the actual text of each discussion. 

Kona

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mathew , greetings! I'm sorry your question has sat here for so long without a response. You are correct that there is no way on the front end of Canvas to get this information. There is a way to count the number of posts for a course - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/01/02/how-to-count-student-discus... - but this wouldn't include the actual text of each discussion. 

Kona

Darth

Request if this addition has been added?

richkingsford

You might try Atomic Search

This Canvas plugin lets you search discussions (and other things) just like you'd expect. 

tolamarie

I'm wondering if a keyword search that would search all the discussions in a class at once is being considered by Canvas. This is the only learning management system I've ever used that does not offer this feature and it's one I use frequently in the other LMSs. This is very frustrating when I'm looking for something in a class and I have to go in and out of each discussion searching individually. I see someone recommended an app called Atomic Search. Does Canvas recommend this? Does it work?

Hello Barbara (@tolamarie)...

While I do not have any experience using the external tool LTI integration called "Atomic Search" by Atomic Jolt, I do know that they have an information page with a short video on how their integration works with Canvas.  It appears they also offer a 30-day free trial before you decide to purchase.  Check out this link: Atomic Jolt | Atomic Search

I hope this will help a bit, Barbara.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

Thank you for answering me. I followed the link for Atomic Jolt and it looks like it is for institutional use and not individual use. Am I correct? I have to ask for a price quote and they want to know the number of students. The sample fill-in-the-blank is 5,000 students. I wanted it for my personal use as a faculty. 

Hi @tolamarie ...

I don't work for Atomic Jolt (I work at a Technical College in Wisconsin), so I wouldn't be able to answer those questions.  It does look like you could schedule a demo with the Atomic Jolt folks, and I'm sure they would be able to answer all those questions for you.  Also, if your school has a paid Canvas account, maybe there would be interest and dollars available to purchase Atomic Search for all of the instructors at your school...not just you.  So, in that case, a conversation with your school's local Canvas administrator would be appropriate.

Hope this helps a bit!