cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holmer
Community Participant

Secondary ID column

In the old gradebook there was a secondary ID column. Mine had SIS ID or Login ID, I can't remember which. Our institution uses a student ID as both SIS and Login. Anyway... the importance of this column was being able to sort on it. We ID our students based on graduation year (high school). For example a student in the class of 2022 ID # would be something like 122000. All of our IDs are in order based on last name alphabetically. So last name A will be low ID and last name Z will be high. 

Back to my question... Can we get this column back? It is important for us to sort based on ID numbers rather than last names because some of our classes have mixed grade levels. I was under the impression the new gradebook would not be removing any features of the old gradebook. And I consider this to be a big feature.

5 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Holmer!

Secondary ID is available as a filter option as part of displaying student names. Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13703-73553814170 and see if that resolves what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Erin

holmer
Community Participant

Yes you can view the secondary ID but you cannot sort on it. Our school needs to be able to sort on that info.

Hi, Holmer,

As per your original question, I'd recommend creating a feature idea for this suggestion. I am not able to find one, which means one doesn't exist yet and our product team doesn't know that functionality is important to you.

Thanks!

Erin

holmer
Community Participant

I will do that. But may I ask, why is this necessary? How does the development team choose which features of the old grade book is being removed without consideration? This is my institutions third year using Canvas and in that time we've seen numerous features removed with no warning. In my opinion this isn't a feature that needs to be requested and voted upon, this is a feature that previously existed and has been removed with little consideration for who is using it.

Hi, Holmer,

I understand your frustration and apologize for having to request the feature option route. Our product managers use the Canvas Studio space to manage all feature ideas, and you never know when an idea can be picked up! So having a feature idea in the space is always a good idea so it's visible to them.

Our product team's goal is to create a solution that meets core needs of Canvas users; additional features may be prioritized and added a later date, but future development is strongly based on feedback from users as the feature is adapted in Canvas. So that's why having them know your thoughts is important. New Gradebook is still in development and has several other existing ideas, so add yours so it can possibly be added for consideration when more work is added to the New Gradebook.

Thanks!

Erin