Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Section missing from Gradebook

Jump to solution

Hi all

Some of our tutors when accessing the Gradebook in Canvas have problems  when viewing sections.

They select the view option and then filters but the sections option has disappeared.

We have tried logging in again and tried refreshing the browser but no luck.

Could anyone offer any advice.

Regards 

Mandeep

1 Solution

Hi Mike

I have worked out what the problem  I enrolled on the course as a student and I found out I could not see the option sections even though I have the role of administrator on the course !!!!

so the role of administrator does not override all permissions.

Thank for your help in pointing me in the right direction concerning roles.  I would have thought administrator was the most powerful role but I was wrong.

Regards

Mandeep     

View solution in original post

9 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello Mandeep,

Are the tutors in different courses, or are they all sharing the same course?  The "Sections" option will only show under Grades > View > Filters when the course has multiple sections.  

Mike

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning,  @Mandeep_Dhesi 

It is possible that those tutors are only enrolled in one section; and so, are only able to view that section. In this case, they would not be offered the option of selecting other sections to view. See https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13026-415257133 for further details.

Kelley

0 Kudos
Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Hi Kelley

All of these tutors have the role of administrators so in practice they should be able to see sections, I followed your instructions and the user had the following privileges (335962_sections.jpg

so they had the right permissions.

Regards

Mandeep

0 Kudos
Mandeep_Dhesi
Community Participant

Hi Mike

All the users concerned are administrators, I can see the sections option on my computer but not on theirs.  And yes the course has multiple sections.

Regards

Mandeep

0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

So the "Sections" shows up or not depending on which computer you are logged in from, rather than showing up for some tutors and not others?

Mike 

0 Kudos

Hi Mike

We have a group who are administrators including myself but I can see the sections option  but some of the other members of the group cannot see cannot  see the section options 

Regards 

Mandeep

0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

Does this happen for those users in all classes, or just in one particular class?  If it is in one particular class, do they have any role (teacher, student, TA, etc.) in that class?

Mike

Hi Mike

I have worked out what the problem  I enrolled on the course as a student and I found out I could not see the option sections even though I have the role of administrator on the course !!!!

so the role of administrator does not override all permissions.

Thank for your help in pointing me in the right direction concerning roles.  I would have thought administrator was the most powerful role but I was wrong.

Regards

Mandeep     

I'm glad you were able to work it out!

0 Kudos