cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fwh10
Community Member

Seeing a 100% student version of a Quiz - NOT ALLOWED!

Would you like to actually see the final version of your Quiz before your students do?      ME TOO!

Unfortunately, that's not an option with Canvas.

When you "Preview" your Quiz before publishing the quiz you will see a "close approximation" of your Quiz.

Those are the exact words of Help Line attendant from Canvas.

Here is the deal, if you use an image in your quiz, you have to publish it first. Got it, makes sense.

However, if you, a human, should fail to hit that publish button on you image inside of your Files, the student will not be able to see the image or take their quiz.

THE PROBLEM is that in Preview the quiz will display the image, leading you to think that your image is published. You are not actually previewing a student version of the quiz. You are viewing an instructor's version.

What about the Test Student view of the quiz. Well, the quiz has to be published and viewable to the students before Test Student can see it.

In the end, Canvas does not let the instructor see their finished, student ready version of the quiz before the students see it!

Hard to believe I know, but it's true. Canvas expects instructors to administered unseen exams!!

2 Replies
epulham
Community Participant

Hi Will, not sure if you figured out a work-around, but I have a test student account that I use to test out lots of functions in Canvas before I do things with students. You could enroll a test student with a personal email address of yours in Canvas if your admin gives you permission to do that, and then you wouldn't have the issue. You could also click on the "Student View" button while in Course Settings to try to preview the test as a test student, so that may help you view it more accurately as well. Good luck!

fwh10
Community Member

Both of your suggestions require you to publish your test before you are ready.

If use the Test Student the test has to be published in order for the Test Student to have visibility on the test.

If you use Student Version the test has to be published and visible to students for Student Version to work.

Seeing a 100% student version of a Quiz – NOT ALLOWED.

Will Holder