cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcarr1
Community Member

Sending a message to all students as a student

Jump to solution

Hi! I want to send a message to everyone in my class as a student. How would I do that? I don't have "All in History 101" option like instructors do. Thanks!

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there kcarr Welcome ‌ to the Community!

According to the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10504-4212716756 guide, if you don't have the option to message all the students in your class, your institution may have disabled it. Best bet is perhaps contact the teacher and see if they can put out an announcement on your behalf or, message all the students as the instructor if it's pertinent.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kcarr...

When you are in the Canvas Inbox and are at the point of selecting the name of a student to send a message to, you'd normally have to click on the name of the student and then go through the whole menu process again to select another student.  I know it's not a "Select All" option, but when you are viewing the drop-down list of students to select from, hold down your Ctrl key on your keyboard, and then start clicking on each one of your classmates.  This will put them in the "To" field, and then you can compose the rest of your message.  Would this help at all?

victoria_richar
Community Participant

If you hold down the Ctrl button before you select a name, it will allow you to select as many people as you want. Just keep the Ctrl button held down while selecting names to email.

5 Replies
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there kcarr Welcome ‌ to the Community!

According to the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10504-4212716756 guide, if you don't have the option to message all the students in your class, your institution may have disabled it. Best bet is perhaps contact the teacher and see if they can put out an announcement on your behalf or, message all the students as the instructor if it's pertinent.

Hope this helps! 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kcarr...

When you are in the Canvas Inbox and are at the point of selecting the name of a student to send a message to, you'd normally have to click on the name of the student and then go through the whole menu process again to select another student.  I know it's not a "Select All" option, but when you are viewing the drop-down list of students to select from, hold down your Ctrl key on your keyboard, and then start clicking on each one of your classmates.  This will put them in the "To" field, and then you can compose the rest of your message.  Would this help at all?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello once again, kcarr...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on September 19th.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that Deactivated user and I provided for you later that day?  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  Are there any outstanding questions you still have yet as it relates to this topic?  If you could please come back to this thread to provide us with an update, that would be great!  Also, if you feel that one of our responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  But, if your still looking for some hep, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's aright with you, Kayla.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

victoria_richar
Community Participant

If you hold down the Ctrl button before you select a name, it will allow you to select as many people as you want. Just keep the Ctrl button held down while selecting names to email.

Hello.