Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vkayhan
Community Participant

Sequential order in a module

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a quick question about the sequential order that can be followed in a module. I have single module in which students will solve 4 problems. But I'd like to provide the solutions as they go along the problems. Below is the module outline I'm thinking:

8-31-2015 7-36-39 PM.jpg

I will provide the answers but I don't want the students to see the answers before submitting their own solution to the corresponding Assignment.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@vkayhan ​, you are right that normally this is for between modules, but given how you want students to work through your Module the following will actually work quite well. It does require both parts though!

Step 1: Set up what the "requirements" are for the students in each Module - How do I add requirements to a Module? For example, whether the student needs to score a specific grade or just submit the assignment for it to be "completed." (Ex: We often use this to make sure students can't access any course content until they get a 100% on the syllabus quiz.)

Step 2: You would then also want to check the box to require students to move through the module in sequential order - How do I require students to move through each Module item in order? That way they would have to complete the requirements (as setup by you in the first step) in order.

We do stuff like this all the time and it works quite well!

View solution in original post

vkayhan
Community Participant

Thanks a lot Kona, and to others who replied. I'll try proposed solution.

Appreciate the help and quick response.

6 Replies
josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

You can do this by adding requirements to your module. Have a look at this page How do I add requirements to a Module? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

Hope this helps

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@vkayhan ​, for this it seems like you would want students to move in sequential order. Here's a guide that will help with this - How do I require students to move through each Module item in order?

Here's the link to this guide in the new community - How do I add requirements to a Module?

vkayhan
Community Participant

Thanks for the replies. I actually saw the instructions about adding requirements to a module, but my confusion was that the instructions looked more geared toward moving between modules rather than moving within (or inside) the module itself.

I also thought about checking the sequential order box, but I didn't know if "clicking on the assignment" can alone count for fulfilling sequential order. Because I don't want people to just click on it and then move onto the answer (without a submission). I guess I'll give the instructions a try and test it using the student view. I hope it will work.

Thanks again!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@vkayhan ​, you are right that normally this is for between modules, but given how you want students to work through your Module the following will actually work quite well. It does require both parts though!

Step 1: Set up what the "requirements" are for the students in each Module - How do I add requirements to a Module? For example, whether the student needs to score a specific grade or just submit the assignment for it to be "completed." (Ex: We often use this to make sure students can't access any course content until they get a 100% on the syllabus quiz.)

Step 2: You would then also want to check the box to require students to move through the module in sequential order - How do I require students to move through each Module item in order? That way they would have to complete the requirements (as setup by you in the first step) in order.

We do stuff like this all the time and it works quite well!

vkayhan
Community Participant

Thanks a lot Kona, and to others who replied. I'll try proposed solution.

Appreciate the help and quick response.