Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericg

Set up a quiz that flows like a Case Study?

Jump to solution

Hello!  I would like to set up a quiz using the flow of a Case Study such that students are presented information and questions one at a time (I can do this) but they are also able to go back and see the previous information and their answers to questions WITHOUT being able to change those past answers ("locking" the answers does not allow students to go back to see the previous questions, although it does keep them from changing them -- half the battle).

I don't think that this is possible (I've looked through this forum but can't find anyone with the same question), but I thought I'd ask if there was some sort of way to do this through the assignment quizzes.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ericg , unfortunately, you are correct that there isn’t a way to lock quiz responses on an open quiz, but all students to see what answers they previously picked. The wouldn’t be able to see this until they submitted their assignment.  Can I ask pedagogically what are you trying to do accomplish with this? I’m just curious if understanding this might help come up with another/different solution. 

Kona

View solution in original post

13 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ericg , unfortunately, you are correct that there isn’t a way to lock quiz responses on an open quiz, but all students to see what answers they previously picked. The wouldn’t be able to see this until they submitted their assignment.  Can I ask pedagogically what are you trying to do accomplish with this? I’m just curious if understanding this might help come up with another/different solution. 

Kona

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I'll chime in that I am curious about this also: I don't use Canvas quizzes, so I don't know what the options are, but it seems to me you could just tell the students not to change their previous answers. Or, if for some reason you are really concerned about that (?), you could have each question in the quiz link to a cumulative document that shows the previous questions (but they wouldn't have access to their answers that way). Like Kona said, I wasn't quite sure what the pedagogical goals/constraints were, but it sounds very interesting!

mstephenson

Can you possibly set up the quiz so when students choose an answer, the answer directs pathway to next question? I like the idea of a case study quiz and am interested in learning about the final product. 

Hi Martha,

I think I've seen this done with sequential assignments, as in you have to complete one assignment before the next one opens up.  Interesting idea!  I just looked and can't quite remember how it's done, but this could be a way... thanks for the idea -- I'll let everyone know if I can successfully implement this (once I find out how to do it).

Hi Kona,

The type of case study I'm working on is a method of active learning where a student is presented some scenario (e.g., a patient comes into a clinic with x, y, z symptoms) and an initial set of questions (e.g., what are possible diagnoses?).  They will have to research these questions, either using their book or outside sources, in order to answer them.  After they have answered those set of questions, then additional information is revealed allowing them to refine their answers and address new ones.  The work builds on previous information, walking the student logically through an event.  If the student can skip ahead or can go back and re-answer their questions, then that's a different kind of exercise.  

Currently I have this set up so they can't go back, but then they can't easily see previous information (I ask them to take notes, but not all of them do this effectively -- but maybe that's part of the learning process!)  I also repeat some information, but then this becomes cumbersome.  However, that may be what I resort to -- repeating all old information at each new step.

Thanks for any ideas!

Hi Laura,

Linking to a document to keep track of progress sounds like a very interesting feature -- I wonder what it would look like on Canvas and how to easily analyze the back-and-forth changes in answers... intriguing!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hmm... would this type of thing possibly help - Hacking Mastery Paths‌?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It’s not hard to get this information, but you’d have to do it for each student. See the following - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12835-4152295598 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ericg ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie