cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bludwig
Community Participant

Setting Teacher (from another district) as Observer

Jump to solution

I am trying to help out a teacher that was last minute placed from high school into teaching the middle school courses. I told her I would set her up to observe my courses so she could reference as needed. After adding her email and attempting to add I am received with "we were unable to find matches below."

What can I do? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@bludwig ,

No, it will not prevent them from making changes, but if you need them to export content from the course, they will need to have a role that allows that, TA, Teacher or Course Designer.  The other option would be for your Canvas Administrator to create a custom role based on one fo the other roles that severely limits what they can do in the course.

Robbie

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bludwig ,

I would recommend adding her to the course as a TA if you want her to see how the course runs.  The Observer role is really designed for parents to be tied to a student in the course so that they can see how the student is performing in the course.

Robbie

bludwig
Community Participant

Robbie,

Thank you for the quick response. Does setting them up as a TA only allow observation? They would not be able to make changes to what I have posted but would be able to download activities?

@bludwig ,

No, it will not prevent them from making changes, but if you need them to export content from the course, they will need to have a role that allows that, TA, Teacher or Course Designer.  The other option would be for your Canvas Administrator to create a custom role based on one fo the other roles that severely limits what they can do in the course.

Robbie

View solution in original post

bludwig
Community Participant

Thank you very much!!! This will be a wonderful tool to use.

lalesi
Community Participant

I set up a teacher from another district as an observer, which is the same role we give our parents.  When it says it could not find a match, I just added their name in.  She got access.   Our parents are not members of our domain and they all have access as observers.

bludwig
Community Participant

Thank you for sharing.