Setting Up Grade Categories in Canvas that import to PowerSchool

Jump to solution
bludwig
Community Explorer

When setting up grade categories, will I create new "groups" and then place assignments inside these groups? If this is correct, when I post in PowerSchool, will these grades post as I have them set up in PowerSchool?

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@bludwig , yes, you're on exactly the right track. The trick to achieving a perfect Canvas-to-PowerSchool connection is to make sure that you create your assignment groups in Canvas so that they appear exactly as your assignment categories do in PowerSchool. That means you need to give the assignment groups the same names with letter-for-letter case-sensitive accuracy. You would then place the assignments you want contributing to each PowerSchool category in their appropriate Canvas assignment groups. Last, if you're using weighted assignment groups, make sure the weights correspond to what you have set in PowerSchool. Once you've done all of that, when you're ready to post grades to SIS (as described in How do I publish grades to PowerSchool?), the assignment grades will populate the correct assignment categories and the grades will calculate perfectly in PowerSchool.

You can read more about the process in Instructor Help: Using PowerSchool in Canvas 

View solution in original post