cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capitolpro
Community Member

Setting to open link in new window?

Jump to solution

Is there a place in settings where I can set it to open a link in a new tab?  I have Canvas bookmarked and when I click on a link it opens the link on the same tab so the bookmark is then the linked page...Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi capitolpro‌ - Within Canvas itself, this depends on whether the link in question is an external link or an internal link to within your course site.  External links will generally automatically open in a new tab, but links within the Canvas site will not.  I also can't tell if you're a student or an instructor...so let me try to explain a fix from both perspectives.

If you are an instructor, rather than re-invent the wheel, here is a link to a similar question that was recently answered by  @chofer : Hyperlinks opening in a new window .

If you are a student, the only way to really consistently ensure that it will open in a new tab/windows is by right-clicking over the link in question, and then left-clicking the menu choice to open the link in a new window/tab.  The exact wording of this menu choice may vary a bit from browser to browser, but the mechanics will remain the same:  right-click, and then left-click the selection to open it in a new tab/window.

By the way, this applies to your saved bookmarks, too.  You can right-click on a bookmark in your browser to have it open in a new tab, as well.  

I hope this helps, Jacqueline!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi capitolpro‌ - Within Canvas itself, this depends on whether the link in question is an external link or an internal link to within your course site.  External links will generally automatically open in a new tab, but links within the Canvas site will not.  I also can't tell if you're a student or an instructor...so let me try to explain a fix from both perspectives.

If you are an instructor, rather than re-invent the wheel, here is a link to a similar question that was recently answered by  @chofer : Hyperlinks opening in a new window .

If you are a student, the only way to really consistently ensure that it will open in a new tab/windows is by right-clicking over the link in question, and then left-clicking the menu choice to open the link in a new window/tab.  The exact wording of this menu choice may vary a bit from browser to browser, but the mechanics will remain the same:  right-click, and then left-click the selection to open it in a new tab/window.

By the way, this applies to your saved bookmarks, too.  You can right-click on a bookmark in your browser to have it open in a new tab, as well.  

I hope this helps, Jacqueline!

View solution in original post