Setting up a course

Jump to solution
kimlombardi88
Community Novice

Where do I find the icon to go to course settings to set up a course?  I have the dashboard icon, calendar, courses (with other courses) etc. on left of webpage.  I know this is probably so simple but I cannot navigate beyond the above. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Are you sure that you need to create a course? It sounds like you already have some created for you and your original question asked about setting up a course.

It sounds like you are looking at your dashboard. That's what shows up by default when you first log into Canvas. If you have course cards on your dashboard you can click on one of them. Otherwise, you can click on Courses and pick one of the courses that you need to prepare. Once you are inside your course, you can see the course navigation menu and go to settings.

You may not be able to create a course. That is a setting controlled by the local Canvas Administrator. We have ours turned off since our courses are created through our Student Information System. If you can create a course, there should be a link from your dashboard: How do I start a new course from the Dashboard as an instructor? 

That link I provided is one of many lessons in the Canvas Instructor Guide. It's a good resource for knowing how to accomplish things in Canvas. Some schools, like mine, have a separate instructor training course that they have to complete before they can teach using Canvas. You may want to check with your local institution and see if they have something available.

View solution in original post