cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harris60
Community Contributor

Share a page across courses

Jump to solution

I would like to have a page for my university department that contains policies (snow days, accomodations, etc.). This page would be maintained by one person and could be added to everyone's site as a link in each syllabus.

I don't think that commons will do what I want? I don't want to import a static document. My goal would be a link to whatever the current policy page is. This way the link would always point users to the current page, not an imported and out-of-date page.

It would be similar to the request for a  ( with the added requirement that the permalink could be embedded into an existing course and accessed by any user/student in that course.

I will add a comment on the request for a permalink, but I wondered if there was some other way to accomplish this that already exists? Some way to share a page to the public and embed a link to the page? Would it work to create a course, make it accessible to the public, create only one page for the course with the policy and then distribute a direct link to that page?

Any other ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

harris60​, yes, technically your idea of creating a public course, adding a page with the resources you'd like, and then distributing the link to the page, would work. Seems like overkill, but it would work and you would be able to see a page history of any changes you'd made to the page.

Something else to consider is a google doc with the information. Anything you changed on the google doc would be visible to everyone with the link and you could also have people easily embed the google doc on a page (or just include the link somewhere) in their course - Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
garth
Community Champion

Does your University have a website?

It seems that department policies and procedures would be published on the University site.

Any web page on the University site can be linked in any course, allowing you to easily share the same page across courses and in any syllabus.

If the case where someone does not have a school website, it is quite easy to use something like

or maybe

to create pages that can be easily shared at little to no cost.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

harris60​, yes, technically your idea of creating a public course, adding a page with the resources you'd like, and then distributing the link to the page, would work. Seems like overkill, but it would work and you would be able to see a page history of any changes you'd made to the page.

Something else to consider is a google doc with the information. Anything you changed on the google doc would be visible to everyone with the link and you could also have people easily embed the google doc on a page (or just include the link somewhere) in their course - Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

harris60
Community Contributor

Thanks Kona. Sounds like your idea would work.

Ideally, however I would prefer a Canvas feature. The issue is that I am going to try to get one of the admins here to set up a page. Using an external tool requires them to set up some type of personal/3rd-party login and then 'learn' to update it. I know how easy it is (for me), but I am expecting push-back and it would be easier if i just pointed them to an institutional tool and asked them to use it.