Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitney_clay
Community Contributor

Share fully viewable course template in Commons

I'd like to share a course template in Commons, but I want faculty to be able to do more than just preview the course before deciding whether they want to import. How do I make it so they can go into the course and look around?  Here's an example of a course template that does what I want to do with mine.

1. Fully viewable direct-link version: [TMPLT-002] Modular Student-centric Course 
  2. I ALSO find the course in Commons, but only preview is available.

Do I need to do both so they can see the whole thing (1) and also be able to import it (2)? If so, how do I do it? 

Thank you!!

281168_pastedImage_2.png

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @whitney_clay ...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here in the Canvas Community for over five months without any replies.  sadpanda‌  In reading through your question, it is correct that you cannot currently preview content in Canvas Commons before importing it into a course shell (that sure would be nice, though).

One thought that I had was to make the course publicly visible...meaning anyone with the link can access the course.  That way, you wouldn't have to enroll people in the course.  If you had a distribution list via your e-mail client, you could then send out a link to the course so that your instructors could view the course contents.  Or, you could even post a Global Announcement to your Canvas Dashboard directed towards your faculty with the link to this course.  If you also have shared this course to Commons, then they could choose whether or not they wanted to import it into their own course.

Another thought would be to enroll all of your faculty into the course with a custom role.  For example, we have created a "Viewer" role that still allows people to import course content from a "master" course into their own course.  You can read more about that in this blog post I wrote a while back: Our Custom "Viewer" Role for "Master" Courses.  (This blog post is found in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins group here in the Community, so if you are not yet following that group, please use the group link I have provided, and then click on the "Follow" button.  Next to that button is a button called "Actions".  Click on that, and then select "Join group".)  Maybe a "Viewer" role would work well for you in this case...because then you wouldn't need to share the course out to Commons.  People would be enrolled in your course as a "Viewer", and then they could use the Course Import Tool to import the course template whenever they wanted/needed.

Finally, not totally related, but I wanted to let you know that I am going to change the format of this question from a Question to a Discussion.  A Question typically has one "correct" answer, but a Discussion may have multiple ways of arriving at a solution...none of which is more "correct" than another option.  Hoping that's okay with you.

I hope the above information is helpful to you, Whitney.  Please let the Community know if you have any additional questions about this...thanks!

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

Hi Chris,

This answer is very helpful and timely! It is the end of our semester, so it’s a perfect time for faculty to begin thinking about next semester and potentially importing the template. Thank you for the directions and ideas. I will go ahead with making a public version so I can share a link, and I will explore the idea of the “viewer” role for “master” courses. Great info!!

Whitney Clay