cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amullen
Community Member

Shared Google Drive

Jump to solution

My colleagues and I use the "Shared Drive" on google to create and share course content. Currently, there is no way to upload anything within this drive as canvas only allows content to be uploaded from a personal drive. This means that we have to make a copy of every resource that we create in order to put it in our personal drives and then import it into Canvas. I am looking for a work around to reduce the number of steps I have to take to upload a resource. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christinemoore
Community Participant

Here's something I have learned that works. We use Office for our desktops and have recently added Google Stream Drive. This allows us to access files from google drive - including shared drives - in the exact same way as if we were uploading a file from the computer or local network. 

Even better than the link idea. Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

~Christine

View solution in original post

10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @amullen  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  What are the reasons you are first using Google Docs/Drive to build your content before putting it into Canvas?  Have you considered using a sort-of "sandbox" course in Canvas that you and other instructors could keep all your content in?  This way, all of you would have access everything, and you could make edits as necessary.

jcacciatore
Community Member

Is there a fix for this problem? We have all of our shared work in these drives and we need to access them. 

christinemoore
Community Participant

I am also interested in finding this answer - we also use google shared drives and would like to eliminate the extra step as well.

amullen
Community Member

We already have all of our content created in Google drive. It would not make sense for us to re-create all of the resources in Canvas.

christinemoore
Community Participant

I believe I have it - share/upload the files using the URL option. Be sure the share settings on your files are correct, copy the link, and use that to add things to Canvas. 

It seems to work well enough. Smiley Happy 

johnmartin
Community Champion

Isn't Google working on an LTI integration to replace the (terrible) Canvas one?

christinemoore
Community Participant

Here's something I have learned that works. We use Office for our desktops and have recently added Google Stream Drive. This allows us to access files from google drive - including shared drives - in the exact same way as if we were uploading a file from the computer or local network. 

Even better than the link idea. Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

~Christine

View solution in original post

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

We use the Office365 integration and I am desperate for this solution - especially as it causes all sorts of issues when a colleague leaves! I am hoping that it is addressed soon - perhaps with a developing Teams integration?

The Google Stream Drive looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

gwm
Community Member

The purpose of this message is to say, we have the same problem at my school.  "My colleagues and I use the "Shared Drive" on google to create and share course content."  If uploading from Shared Drives is not an option in CANVAS then why doesn't it work?  It seems intuitive for files to be in a common place and easy to upload in to Canvas.  Unfortunately, unless I just can't figure it out, we have to make five copies of the same thing and save them in teachers' respective folders for the week, so they can access them and incorporate them into CANVAS.    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 5.13.23 PM.png