cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidi1
Community Contributor

Sharing Outcomes via Commons

I want to share outcomes in a way that instructors from my institution can get them and use them in their courses with their assignments and their rubrics.  I figured Commons was the way to do it.  However, it seems the only way to get outcomes in Commons is to attach to a rubric and attach the rubric to an assignment.  The rubric is then useful for different assignments, but I can't figure out how to separate out the outcomes other than copy and paste into a new outcome.  I do not want to get all involved with our institutions sub-accounts and permissions at this time and was hoping this was a simple way to get the ball rolling with the Outcomes features.

Any ideas from the community?

Thanks,

Heidi

Tags (2)
7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @heidi1 ​...

I don't really have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I'm going to share your question with someone from Instructure that works with Canvas Commons.  Hopefully you'll get a response soon!

heidi1
Community Contributor

Thanks Chris!

I am anxiously waiting to hear something on this.

Heidi

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@heidi1 , I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I just saw this feature idea come over the transom:

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @heidi1 ​...

I wanted to let you know I reached out again to the person who I think will be able to help you with your question.  Hopefully you will be getting a response soon.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@heidi1 ​,

Where you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

awilliams
Community Champion

Hey  @heidi1 ‌,

In researching the answer to a very similar question, Can you transfer teacher created outcomes from course to course or through commons?, it looks like this just isn't possible right now. Here's the response I gave over there:

---

This isn't possible currently but there are feature ideas along these lines:

Share Outcomes & Rubrics to Commons - On Hold, I think it will be open for voting eventually. Bookmark/Follow it!

Ability to share a rubric to the Commons - Similar and on Product Radar! Bookmark/Follow it!

Outcomes to be shared in Commons - Archived

Ability to share Outcomes in Canvas Commons - Closed as duplicate

For now, the closest workaround I can think of would be to use share rubrics via Excel, and use James Jones' process for Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet. This wouldn't give you actual outcomes or the benefits of the Learning Mastery Gradebook, but it would allow one to transfer rubric files for assignments and easily upload them to assignments.

I think better things are coming though. So stay tuned in!

awilliams
Community Champion

@heidi1 ‌, 

sara.chai‌ just posted a response with a solution from her faculty. It doesn't use commons but it does allow transferring of outcomes not just rubrics. Quoting Sara from Can you transfer teacher created outcomes from course to course or through commons? :

Added from the same teacher, she found...
1. Create the outcomes in your course
2. Export course content, choose only the “Learning Outcomes”
3. Import the outcomes into your other courses.
This works for one instructor with multiple courses with same learning outcomes.