cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swinter
Community Champion

Sharing files outside of a class

Jump to solution

We are in an atypical situation. When a student applies to our program, we will have them upload some application assignments within an application class that we are building. I know from experimentation that those files, although uploaded in the class, will also be in their Files. After they have been accepted to the program, we need those assignments and a few new ones to be accessible to the instructors of the first class before the class has actually started. After that class, I need for all of the previous assignments, plus those in the first class, plus a couple of new ones to be accessible to the instructors of the second class before the class has started. And then once more with everything prior and some new for class three. How can this be done?

I do not see a way to send a link to a file folder. I can create a portfolio and add files there, which I can then share with a link, but that is so difficult to do.

Why isn't there an easy way for files to be shared by a user? And why can't admins access every file in the system so they can gather and share them with the appropriate instructors?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swinter
Community Champion

Hi,

Yes, like most of my questions, there doesn't seem to be a good answer. What we decided here was that the students are going to have to build an eportfolio based on guidelines we will give them. They will move certain files into that portfolio, and then email instructors the link. The eportfolio will grow with each new class. It is a clumsy process, but with all of the uploading that students will do within the system, I couldn't figure out another way to allow them to share.

What is irritating to me is that the admin doesn't not have easy access to everything within their system. An admin can masquerade as a another user to access the files though.

We were hoping that this system could replace the piles of papers we maintain, and in some ways it can, but nearly as well or as efficiently as we hoped.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
blong
Community Participant

We are trying to do something similar here at Cascadia in a few different areas.  Our enrollment services area are trying to do this as are a couple of departments and one course group.  We are also looking at this for the possibility of reviewing assignments when in tenure review.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @swinter ​...

It appears you may have stumped the Community with this question.  Since you first posted this question in August, have you been able to come up with a solution?  If so, would you be willing to share?  Thanks Susan!

swinter
Community Champion

Hi,

Yes, like most of my questions, there doesn't seem to be a good answer. What we decided here was that the students are going to have to build an eportfolio based on guidelines we will give them. They will move certain files into that portfolio, and then email instructors the link. The eportfolio will grow with each new class. It is a clumsy process, but with all of the uploading that students will do within the system, I couldn't figure out another way to allow them to share.

What is irritating to me is that the admin doesn't not have easy access to everything within their system. An admin can masquerade as a another user to access the files though.

We were hoping that this system could replace the piles of papers we maintain, and in some ways it can, but nearly as well or as efficiently as we hoped.

View solution in original post