Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brendaa
Community Member

Should Appointments be appearing in the Calendar Feed?  

We are using the new Scheduler and creating appointments on calendars.  We are using the Calendar Feed to subscribe to the Canvas Calendar in Google Calendar following the directions given in the guide.  Normal events and assignments are appearing in the Google Calendar, but Appointments (both open and reserved) are not appearing in the Google Calendar Feed.  I've searched all over and do not find any specific mention of this being an exception.  The Google Calendar Feed article says "Note: All future events, and past events within 30 days, are included when exporting a Canvas calendar to another calendar program." So should appointments be showing or is this a bug that needs to be sent to support?  

Tags (2)
7 Replies
brendaa
Community Member

I tested as a Student, and the student who signs up for the appointment is seeing the appointment in their Google Calendar feed, but the Instructor does not see student's appointment in their Google Calendar feed.

brendaa
Community Member

I tested as a Student, and the student who signs up for the appointment is seeing the appointment in their Google Calendar feed, but the Instructor does not see student's appointment in their Google Calendar feed.

RobDitto
Community Member

@brendaa ‌, it's always been the case with old and new Scheduler that only students have their reserved appointments in their Calendar feed. If I recall correctly, there was a feature idea for this in the predecessor to the Canvas Community. Maybe it's time for a resubmission... I'm bookmarking this page.

brendaa
Community Member

I just heard back from Canvas Support and their reply was " I have looked

into this but scheduler appointments should be communicating with the

Google Calendar. I did find that there can be a delay before information

is available in Google Calendars due to the way their site performs

caching. This can cause a delay of 8-24 hours before new information will

appear."

One of my test appointments reserved by a student did appear after about 4

hours, but the other has not after 6 hours.

Brenda Adrian

Associate Director, Instructional Technology

St. Edward's University

512-448-8729

Lynda.com now available to all faculty, staff and students at St. Edward's

University. Visit https://lynda.stedwards.edu!

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM, dittor@wharton.upenn.edu <

RobDitto
Community Member

@brendaa ‌, thanks so much for sharing that information! If I'm interpreting correctly, some appointments do eventually make it into a teacher's feed. I will test this - it would come as a nice surprise for new Scheduler!

brendaa
Community Member

Yes, it seems like they are supposed to appear in the feed when a student

reserves the appointment. So the appointment slots don't appear, but the

reserved appointments do. This was confirmed by the faculty who originally

reported the problem to me. 8 -24 hours is still a pretty long time to

wait.

Brenda Adrian

Associate Director, Instructional Technology

St. Edward's University

512-448-8729

Lynda.com now available to all faculty, staff and students at St. Edward's

University. Visit https://lynda.stedwards.edu!

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM, dittor@wharton.upenn.edu <

RobDitto
Community Member

For completeness: Teachers, TAs and Designers now get reserved appointments for their courses in their Calendar feed. This was introduced in Canvas Release Notes (2018-08-25), and improved with a bug fix in Canvas Release Notes (2018-10-06).  Still being researched: whether Outlook can show the reservation details when subscribed to the feed.