cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
themidiman
Community Champion

Shouldn't ePortfolios allow for hosting of html content?

Jump to solution

For instructors who teach web design/development it would be nice if ePortfolios would allow for users to upload html content render in the browser rather than prompt visitors to download individual files the user has uploaded to their personal account space. As of now if I link to a file in my files area it does this:

canvas_eportfolio_html_file.png

If students could use Canvas as a means of displaying their ability to design a web site or web pages along with other skills, and show them off to other students and outside entities (i.e. potential employers) it would be nice. Students would have to pay for external hosting if this is a requirement in a course. If Canvas already does this, it's not very evident. Should this be a feature request? I can't get any similar ideas to show up in a search to vote it up. If anyone comes across one or knows of one could you send it my way? I'll post this one as my own feature request in the meantime.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

JEFHQ12951​ - I think there are many us who would like to see improvements to the ePortfolio in Canvas.  The various suggestions never seem to get enough votes out there in the Community, though.  I believe you are correct in what you are stating; there is not an easy way to do what you are asking for.

To be fair to Instructure here, though, I think they tried to create something that was as user-friendly as possible and is in fact NOT designed to appeal to the HTML coders out there.  In keeping with their philosophy with blogs, for example (they don't offer one natively in Canvas, since there's many free ones out there---or so I've been told), I think they assume that the heavy-duty HTML designers would know enough to go to other resources on the web that allow more design choices.

All that said, I think in general the ePortfolios tend to not be of high priority to Instructure, as the latest development resources allocation illustrates (scroll all the way down to the bottom):  Canvas Development Resources Allocation

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

JEFHQ12951​ - I think there are many us who would like to see improvements to the ePortfolio in Canvas.  The various suggestions never seem to get enough votes out there in the Community, though.  I believe you are correct in what you are stating; there is not an easy way to do what you are asking for.

To be fair to Instructure here, though, I think they tried to create something that was as user-friendly as possible and is in fact NOT designed to appeal to the HTML coders out there.  In keeping with their philosophy with blogs, for example (they don't offer one natively in Canvas, since there's many free ones out there---or so I've been told), I think they assume that the heavy-duty HTML designers would know enough to go to other resources on the web that allow more design choices.

All that said, I think in general the ePortfolios tend to not be of high priority to Instructure, as the latest development resources allocation illustrates (scroll all the way down to the bottom):  Canvas Development Resources Allocation

View solution in original post