Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mparzen
Community Member

Show assignment list on homepage??

Jump to solution

New to canvas so please be kind......

I want to create a home page and on the bottom of my home page i want to show the assignment list.

Not a link to the assignment list but the list itself.

As an example, my syllabus page is apparently set up to do this-how can I add the assignment list to my new home page?

thanks

assignment_list.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mparzen ​...

Renaming the buttons on the left side navigation bar can get problematic for reasons described by people who have chimed in on this, now archived, Feature Idea: .  You can see that it got several negative votes.  Something you could do is hide your current Syllabus page via your course "Settings" >> "Navigation" tab, but then you would need to make a new Page called "Syllabus" and add it to the very top of your Modules page. Or, like you said, you could probably use the re-direct LTI tool to add your own "Syllabus" button directing people to that new page.  (You may need to re-link this every semester, though, because I think the URL your re-direct tool would point to would be course specific.)  You'd still have your own "Course Home" page where you can choose any Front Page content from your "Pages" that you want...such as a "Welcome to Class" splash page.  Does this help?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
sjohnsonk12

You could choose to make your syllabus your homepage. And then treat the syllabus body area however you want that to be treated. See this link​How do I change the Course Home Page? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

Yes that is correct but not exactly the functionality I was looking for.

IF I could rename the syllabus tab I would and make it my home page and then create a new syllabus page and use the redirect app to it.

basically I want the syllabus page to be the syllabus page and the home page to be the home page. IF i could make a copy of the syllabus page, rename it and then edit it, and then make it my home page that would be awesome.

i have tired embedding an iframe with the assignments page onto my new home page but that doesn't give me what i want.

thanks!!

mparzen
Community Member

As a temporary solution, I created a google calendar for the class and have embeded it on the home page. It would be cleaner though to be able to embed the assignment list.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mparzen ​...

Renaming the buttons on the left side navigation bar can get problematic for reasons described by people who have chimed in on this, now archived, Feature Idea: .  You can see that it got several negative votes.  Something you could do is hide your current Syllabus page via your course "Settings" >> "Navigation" tab, but then you would need to make a new Page called "Syllabus" and add it to the very top of your Modules page. Or, like you said, you could probably use the re-direct LTI tool to add your own "Syllabus" button directing people to that new page.  (You may need to re-link this every semester, though, because I think the URL your re-direct tool would point to would be course specific.)  You'd still have your own "Course Home" page where you can choose any Front Page content from your "Pages" that you want...such as a "Welcome to Class" splash page.  Does this help?

mparzen
Community Member

Thanks but still not what I am looking for.

I like the way the (built in) syllabus page looks because it has the following setup (see my original post)

---------current syllabus page----------

random junk

random junk

assignment like

------------------------------------------

I wish I knew how they are able to embed the assignment list at the bottom of the syllabus page. That is what I am looking to do. I want to create a new home page that has the assignment list (not a link to it but the list itself) at the bottom of the page.

Thanks!!

m

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think you'd need to go to your "Pages" area of your course, create a new page (you could call it "Home" or "Course Home"...putting whatever content you wanted on that page including your own list of assessments/assignments), and then set that page as the "Front Page" using this Guide: How do I set a Front Page for my course?.  Then, as  @sjohnsonk12 ​ has correctly stated, you could then set your own "Home" page as the home page that your students see when they enter the course.  How do I change the Course Home Page?

Please let me know if this might work for you...thanks!

mparzen
Community Member

I think the terminology might be confusing or our local set up is different than yours.

You say "your own list of assessments/assignments)....."

Do you mean I create my own list on that page?

What I am trying to do is embed the assignment list that canvas has onto my home page. For some reason this assignment list is only embeded on the bottom of the syllabus page (see original post for image).

Do other people have canvas set up so the assignment list is on the bottom of any page they want??

thanks!!

@mparzen , if I'm understanding your wishes correctly, and interpreting all the responses correctly,  @chofer  has given you the solution. Actually everyone has given you great advice, but perhaps it needs summing up. Here is what has been recommended thus far, in bullet point form:

• On the course home page, use the Choose Home Page feature to make the Syllabus page your course home page. See: How do I change the Course Home Page?
  • Hide the Syllabus tab in the left navigation. See: How do I reorder and hide Course Navigation links? At this point, students would not see a Syllabus tab; when they click on the Home tab in the left nav, they will be directed to Canvas's syllabus page--the one you like with the list of assignment links appearing at the bottom.
  • Create a page of your own design and choosing, and call it "Syllabus." See: How do I create a new page in my course?
  • Last, you can use the external app called Re-direct Tool to create a new navigation link in the left nav called Syllabus. Use the Re-direct LTI to direct students to the new page called "Syllabus" you've just created. See: What are LTI Tools (External Apps)? and  Edu App Center . To reiterate what  @chofer ​ has pointed out, you'd probably have to re-create the re-direct upon every course copy.

This should accomplish exactly what you want. You'd end up with a course home page that has the list of assignments at the bottom, and you'd have a separate Syllabus page that has whatever you like on it, but not the list of assignments. If you really want that list to appear at the bottom of the new page you've created as well as on the course home page, you can create all of those links using the Insert Content into the Page panel on the left side--but why, since it already appears on the course home page? Smiley Happy

yes I think that does it-thanks for listing the steps. I wasn't sure that by hiding the syllabus page I could still link to it.

so we're done (I think) but some general thoughts

1) How does the syllabus page create the list of assignments at the bottom? That would be a cool feature to be able to put on the bottom of any page.

2) This is more of a page privilege issue I don't understand yet...our pre-canvas system let me set the permission of each page to public, general university or class list only. There is course content I only want the paying customers to be able to see. I am note sure how to do that with canvas but one thing I can do is make the canvas site private and only make the syllabus public. Which I think wont work if I rename the syllabus page. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!!