Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_soole
Community Member

Show rubrics without points

Jump to solution

Hello all,

We are trialling Canvas at present. Our teaching staff want to set up rubrics in Canvas as we currently use them here, with no scores. Here rubrics give an overall indication of how well an assignment has been answered, but do not necessarily directly translate to marks.  They are more of a guide for the students, not really a set of points, and is how UK TurnItIn works.

In Canvas there seems to be no way to do this. So here for example we want to show these levels of attainment on a scale, but not show any kind of point or total (as here).

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

130020_pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mark_soole ​, the best way to accomplish this would be to set up all of the rubric criteria as outcomes. Each outcome will have to carry points that indicate whether mastery has or has not been achieved, but the points themselves will not be recorded, nor will they contribute to the grade for the assignment.

You can create the outcomes at the account level, sub-account level, or course level. The key to make sure that the "use this criterion for scoring" checkbox is not enabled each time you import the outcome into the rubric.

I've set up the rubric displayed, this time using outcomes.

rubric-created-with-outcomes-no-points.png

Students will be able to see the level of mastery they've achieved on a particular outcome, and the mastery levels will be collected in reports that can be used for course and institutional assessment purposes. Will this accomplish what you've described?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mark_soole ​, the best way to accomplish this would be to set up all of the rubric criteria as outcomes. Each outcome will have to carry points that indicate whether mastery has or has not been achieved, but the points themselves will not be recorded, nor will they contribute to the grade for the assignment.

You can create the outcomes at the account level, sub-account level, or course level. The key to make sure that the "use this criterion for scoring" checkbox is not enabled each time you import the outcome into the rubric.

I've set up the rubric displayed, this time using outcomes.

rubric-created-with-outcomes-no-points.png

Students will be able to see the level of mastery they've achieved on a particular outcome, and the mastery levels will be collected in reports that can be used for course and institutional assessment purposes. Will this accomplish what you've described?

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
amurray
Community Participant

Hi Stefanie Sanders,

Thank you for sharing these steps. I have a question, however, since it appears that even by following these steps students can still see how many points they have been given by reading their rubric rating results.

These are the steps I followed:

1) Created a rubric

2) Imported Outcomes (and unticked "Use this criterion for scoring") into the rubric

3) Added the rubric to an Assignment (ticked "Hide score total for assessment results)

4) As a test student, submitted to the Assignment (and as a test student I can see points associated with each rating in the rubric)

5) As a teacher, used the rubric to assess the Assignment (the Total Points is 0)

6) As a test student, I check my grade and see it is 0

7) As a test student, I check the rubric and I can see my rating and how many points are associated with that rating (even though the total points says 0, the rating still says how many points I received, however)

So I guess I am curious to know whether there is anyway to have the ratings only say "Exceeds Expectations", "Meets Expectations", etc. rather than "Exceeds Expectations 5.0 pts", "Meets Expectations 3.0 pts", etc.? It would be nice to simply provide a text description of their rating rather than text descriptions and points.

Any insights that you (or anyone) can provide to this questions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi  @amurray , it is not currently possible to remove the points altogether from a Canvas rubric. And setting all of the point values to zero--which is possible--would not capture any mastery data, and would still show a point value, albeit a point value of 0.

Strictly speaking, I should say it's not possible at the front end of Canvas; perhaps a programmer has successfully written code that eliminates those points while still preserving the underlying ratings.

is a very popular feature idea. While it's archived, the comment from the product team indicates that it's on the radar for future development. You might find the commentary surrounding the idea of interest, and I recommend that you "follow" the idea to your inbox to receive updates of its progress through the development cycle.

Also, the product manager who made that comment, Deactivated user​, is doing an AMA on CanvasLIVE​ on October 20; you might want to ask her about it then! For you and anyone else interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to Ask Me Anything: Kate McGee, Product Manager, Commons --and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" so you can receive any post-event updates.

amurray
Community Participant

Many thanks for the latest details and quick reply, Stefanie!