Showing grades before Due Date

Jump to solution
sbarnes77
Community Member

Prior to this weekend the gradebook would display grades for assignments even before they were due.  Now, assignments only appear in the gradebook after the due date.

I like keeping certain assignments open for longer periods of time and having them appear as zeros until completed.  I also use a late penalty, so changing the due date is not a desirable solution.

Is there a way to make assignments appear in the gradebook prior to the due date?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Greetings! I'm wondering if you're using some type of grade posting policy that is preventing students from seeing their grades.

I just logged in as one of my students and they are able to see all of their grades, even for assignments that aren't due until next week. The only grades that aren't showing up are for ones that I have a grade posting policy that prevents them from seeing their grades until I release them. You can see what I'm describing from the image below -- this is exactly what one of my students is seeing for their grades. Discussion 9 grade is hidden because of the grade posting policy. All of the other grades are visible because there is no policy associated with them.

GradesView.PNG

[Side note, the only reason I can see this is that I'm a Canvas Admin and teacher at my school, this isn't something a regular teacher could look and see.]. 

In your gradebook, when you look at an assignment that students can't see their grades, is there a little icon with an eye and a line through it? If so, then that means you have a grade posting policy preventing students from seeing their grades. Here are two guides that can help you with that -- https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-a-grade-posting-policy-for-an-as... & https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-post-grades-for-an-assignment-in-the-Gr... 

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post