Shuffling the stimulus and its associated questions

Jump to solution
pdaves
Community Participant

This has been asked but not answered... perhaps because it can't be done and perhaps because the question hasn't been asked as specifically as needed: 

I (and lots of other instructors) want to randomly assign different stimului to students and have the appropriate associated questions follow the stimulus. Specifically:

Create Stimulus A, Stimulus B, Stimulus C

Attach questions A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 to stimulus A

Attach questions B1 B2 B3  B4 B5 to stimulus B

Attach questions C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 to stimulus C

Be able to randomly assign Stimulus A, B, or C and their associated questions to students in the class.

In my case, A, B, and C will differ only in the specific numbers in the stimulus and so the answers to A1 to A5 will be different from the answers to B1 to B5 because of their different inputs. 

Alternately, I'd like to be able to create 3 separate versions of the quiz and randomly assign those 3 versions to the students. This would serve the same purpose for me as above and is not the same as choosing individual questions from a bunch of question banks. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
joshua_lebo
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @pdaves,

At the moment there is not any functionality in New Quizzes to shuffle/randomize Stimuli as questions cannot be attached to Stimuli in Item Banks, and when picking items from an Item Bank at random only questions can be selected. This is noted in our guides How do I add content to an item bank in New Quizzes? - "When you add stimulus content to an item bank, questions attached to the stimulus content are not automatically added and must be added to the item bank manually. Likewise, when you add stimulus content to a quiz from an item bank, attached questions are not automatically added." 

While shuffling the Stimuli is not currently possible in Canvas there are two existing Canvas Feature Ideas for this functionality that you may want to follow, bookmark, and add your feedback and vote to: Attached questions stay fixed to stimulus in item bank and adding New Quiz stimulus and attached questions to an Item Bank

View solution in original post