Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jadams2
Community Member

Simultaneous Assignment Creation

Jump to solution

Updated

Original subject line: can I create an assignment in one course and add it to other sections of same course simultaneously?

Can I create an assignment in one class and add it to other courses simultaneously?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jadams2 ​, short answer is no. There is no magic button to press when creating an assignment that will add it to your other courses/course sections. Yet, if your other course sections are the exact same (just different due dates) I would recommend cross-listing them - How do I cross-list a section in a course?​ - so that way all of the sections were housed in the same course. So one assignment for all of your course sections. Then you can use the differentiate feature to specify the different due dates for the different sections - How do I assign an assignment to an individual student or course section?. In addition, you can also grade and enter attendance by course section (in a combined course).

If this won't work, then your options include the following to share resources between courses:

1. Canvas Commons - What is Canvas Commons? & Commons Guide

2. Import the specific content/assignments from one section into the other section(s) - How do I select specific content as part of a course import?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jadams2 ​, short answer is no. There is no magic button to press when creating an assignment that will add it to your other courses/course sections. Yet, if your other course sections are the exact same (just different due dates) I would recommend cross-listing them - How do I cross-list a section in a course?​ - so that way all of the sections were housed in the same course. So one assignment for all of your course sections. Then you can use the differentiate feature to specify the different due dates for the different sections - How do I assign an assignment to an individual student or course section?. In addition, you can also grade and enter attendance by course section (in a combined course).

If this won't work, then your options include the following to share resources between courses:

1. Canvas Commons - What is Canvas Commons? & Commons Guide

2. Import the specific content/assignments from one section into the other section(s) - How do I select specific content as part of a course import?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jadams2 ​...

@kona ​ has given you great advice here, and I'll mark her answer as "Correct".  I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify the subject line of your question a bit because it is very similar to the body of your message (no need to state the same thing both places).  I'm also going to tag your message with some keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your topic should they have similar questions here in the Canvas Community.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of the message, please let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  I hope this is okay with you, Jimmy.  Thanks...

sbridge
Community Participant

A new update has now added a "copy to course" feature that does exactly this, make it in "1st hour" and then copy to your other sections.  IF you are not crosslisted or need to share among other courses it is a life-saver and works very well!