Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrady2

Skype in Canvas Settings

Jump to solution

Our institution uses Outlook/Office365 for e-mail and Skype for Business for IM/meetings, but when I activated and clicked on the Skype link in the Global Settings for our Canvas instance, it launched standard desktop Skype that is available to anyone. Is this the normal function and can this be modified to link Skype in Canvas to Skype for Business? I ask because some of our faculty would like to use Skype for Business as they can invite multiple class/sections to office hours in one session.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@chofer ‌ There is nothing to update on this issue as we moved away from attempting to use Skype for Business as it was not proving to be a viable option for communication with large numbers of individuals. Our faculty attempted to use Skype outside of Canvas by emailing an invitation to students, but they soon began to notice issues related to screen-sharing and video/audio not syncing.  We were not able to determine if this was a Skype for Business or a bandwidth issue, but as other communication tools do not seem to have the same issues, we have abandoned trying to use Skype at this time.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jbrady2 ​...

Your question has been sitting here unanswered for several days.  Have you been able to find an answer on your own or talking with colleagues?

@chofer   I have not found a solution for this issue.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jbrady2 ...

I thought I'd check in with you one more time on this.  It appears that you may have stumped the Canvas Community with your question.  But, I wanted to see if you've been able to come up with any resolutions on your own since you first posted this.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've necessarily found an answer to this...but because we haven't had any new activity in this thread for quite some time.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to your inquiry, however.  I hope this is alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Jeffrey.

@chofer ‌ There is nothing to update on this issue as we moved away from attempting to use Skype for Business as it was not proving to be a viable option for communication with large numbers of individuals. Our faculty attempted to use Skype outside of Canvas by emailing an invitation to students, but they soon began to notice issues related to screen-sharing and video/audio not syncing.  We were not able to determine if this was a Skype for Business or a bandwidth issue, but as other communication tools do not seem to have the same issues, we have abandoned trying to use Skype at this time.

@jbrady2  what did you end up going with?  Our K12 institution is looking around for conference tools at the moment.  We also have O365 and I wanted to see how Skype might integrate with Canvas when I found your post.  The current Big Blue Button tool in Canvas seems great, however it lacks the ability to store the recording for an extended period of time like most teachers would want to do.  We are exploring Google options and Zoom as well, but would love to hear about your experiences.  Thanks.  - Joe

@joseph_allen ‌ Big Blue Button was really only an issue if faculty wanted to address students in multiple sections of the same course; otherwise, for individual courses, faculty still use Big Blue Button. The faculty member who originally brought this issue to my attention has since resorted to recording short video answers (math problem solutions) for individual students as they email her, which she then emails back to the students, so, at this point, I do not have an answer as to a viable solution to my original question.

nicksa

For our institution, Skype For Business (soon to be MS Teams) is the way to go. It will be the communication tool of choice for voice, chat, conferencing, you name it.

I'm guessing this is not uncommon, considering it is included in default free licenses for students by MS but is also a communication tool that we control (important considering e.g. GDPR). Other communication tools have their value, but can never become the "official channel" as they are simply not under our control.

Note, though, that S4B has undergone quite a few changes (and is continually changing), so the quality is constantly improved (chances are that the technical issues you had before are resolved by now). This all is not intended as advertising for S4B, but an explanation of some of the motivation we had (and other institutions may have) to chose it.

So: in light of this, what are the chances that integration with S4B/Teams will be natively supported in Canvas in the near future?

vancej
Community Member

This is something for Canvas to consider.

Hello,  @vancej ‌.

Unrelated to Canvas, my team has found issues with Skype for Business that make it unusable even for small team meetings. We have fully switched over to Zoom. I haven't used it myself, but Zoom has a Canvas integration: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115000282986-Configuring-Zoom-App-for-Canvas

Best regards,

Nelson