Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AimeeESL
Community Participant

Some buttons of the screen recorder for Canvas Studio suddenly stopped functioning

Jump to solution
I have been recording with Canvas Studio. It was great! However, something changed. Now, after the screen recorder opens, I can no longer select the buttons "Webcam" and "Both" as I did previously. I click on them, but nothing happens. I'm not sure why this function stopped working; maybe because I updated my Mac OS to Big Sur…? I was thinking of uninstalling the screen recorder and reinstalling it, but I don't know how to uninstall the screen recorder from my Mac. Can anybody tell me how to do that or let me know if you have a different troubleshooting suggestion?

Thanks, 

Aimee
20 Replies

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved or is there a work around? I’m having this problem as well.

AimeeESL
Community Participant

As far as I know, it has not been resolved, and I cannot offer a work around. Frustrating. 

gturner1
Community Member

Yep, same issue, it just won't run properly in Big Sur. I'm surprised this still hasn't been fixed, especially given how many of us are relying on remote teaching at the moment.

AimeeESL
Community Participant

Hello there,

A couple of people have recently posted about a resolution or work around for the problem of Studio record buttons not functioning after updating to Big Sur on a Mac. I originally posted about this issue at the beginning of last month. You were kind enough to take it up with support staff. Do you happen to know if there has been any progress towards a fix?

Thanks for your help.

Aimee

vvanry
Community Member

I am experiencing the same issues. Can't wait to see this resolved.

Veronica

willmoin
Community Participant

I don't have Big Sur (my macbook wouldn't take it) but I wondered if anybody was able to repeat the issue when using the Free version of Screencast-o-matic? Reason being that I believe it uses a different version of the same recorder app, it won't work with Studio but I think it would give us an idea of the problem. In the past it looks like the version in Studio seems a bit behind (I needed to have it allow recording of desktop audio which SCOM does but not Studio) - Instructure seemed to be a bit quiet about it which made me think that they don't seem to have much control over it. Same as asking them about the captioning tool and any improvements to it. https://screencast-o-matic.com/tutorials

gjarrett
Community Participant

I just tried Screencast-O-Matic on my M1 MacBook Pro with Big Sur, and it did successfully record the screen and webcam.

I hope that Instructure updates the Studio code soon to make it compatible. I have had to fall back to OBS which is much less convenient, and has its own compatibility issues.

willmoin
Community Participant

Thanks for giving it a go. Recording in OBS/PowerPoint are workarounds but we always saw Studio as being able to do all of the 'heavy-lifting' for staff: choosing what format video to save to, where to save it, uploading etc. It rather undoes all our hard work showing staff the benefits of using Studio, so yes fingers crossed!

zsgoreczky
Instructure
Instructure

Hello All, 

This issue is indeed related to BigSur and we are working on its fix now. I apologize for all the hardships it has caused. I will update this thread once the fix it out. 

Thanks, 

Zsofi

View solution in original post

thasheider
Community Member

I just tried today and it worked! So I guess the Canvas engineers fixed it! 🎉🙏🏼

View solution in original post