cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Sorting Assignments in Assignment Group

Jump to solution

Assignments move around in assignment groups - cannot order them within the group to help students understand what to start first.

Is there way to order the assignments so that students know what to start first?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

If you want a user-specified order, then use Modules to organize your data.

The assignments page has a predefined order. According to the Canvas Student Guide document How do I view Assignments as a student? 

By default, assignments are grouped by overdue assignments, upcoming assignments, undated assignments, and past assignments.

I wish you luck. My students don't generally follow the modules page, despite me encouraging them to do so. They only look at the Calendar or the To Do list. The To Do list has nothing to do with the order I think they should start working things in, it has to do with when it's due. Unfortunately, for many students, the current date on the To Do list gives when they are supposed to start working on something, not when they are supposed to finish. The fact that there's a huge paper that they should have been working on all semester is lost to them unless you have checkpoints due along the way to keep it on their To Do list that gets their attention.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Community Champion

If you want a user-specified order, then use Modules to organize your data.

The assignments page has a predefined order. According to the Canvas Student Guide document How do I view Assignments as a student? 

By default, assignments are grouped by overdue assignments, upcoming assignments, undated assignments, and past assignments.

I wish you luck. My students don't generally follow the modules page, despite me encouraging them to do so. They only look at the Calendar or the To Do list. The To Do list has nothing to do with the order I think they should start working things in, it has to do with when it's due. Unfortunately, for many students, the current date on the To Do list gives when they are supposed to start working on something, not when they are supposed to finish. The fact that there's a huge paper that they should have been working on all semester is lost to them unless you have checkpoints due along the way to keep it on their To Do list that gets their attention.

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi James,

I have figured out that if the home page of the course is Assignment view, students can see the sorted assignment by due date although it does not really match in teachers view. 

Its ok though as long as student know what to start first.

Thanks.

James
Community Champion

Correct. Instructors can sort the assignments on the assignment page and then choose to sort the gradebook that way or by due date. In the new gradebook, there are even more options for sorting.

Students don't generally care whether things are in assignments, quizzes, exams, projects, discussions, or whatever your assignment groups are called. They just want to know what is due next.

What I do is make several views available, so the students can get it in date order from the syllabus page or in my preferred order from the modules page. They can also view them on the grades page, which starts off chronologically by due date, but can be changed by the student: How do I view my grades in a current course? 

There have been a few people in the Community who have commented about using the assignments page as the default, but for many it will not work as they have content in their course, not just assignments. Using the assignments page doesn't appear to be as popular, perhaps for that reason or perhaps for the reason you're experiencing -- that it doesn't allow you to specify how things should be organized beyond a due date.