Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seriousdan27

SpeedGrader Media Comments Microphone Feedback / Too Loud

Jump to solution

I am a teacher using the SpeedGrader and a microphone to provide media comments. I have tried using a USB microphone via a desktop computer with Windows 7 and Chrome and Internet Explorer, and I have also tried using a  Google Pixelbook's integrated microphone as well. What I've noticed when trying to give media comments using the Flash plugin in Chrome AND Internet Explorer, I have to manually adjust the microphone sound levels each time, due to the horrible feedback noise and extreme volume. I've tried several times to lower the volume of both the speakers and mics, but each initial voice recording is way too loud. 

Are there any workarounds to having the options save without having to adjust them each time for every student's assignment? The feedback especially is horrendously loud, and I believe it is either an issue with the flash plugin or Canvas itself. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Daniel,

I don't have any great suggestions except to say Yes, I've seen the same issue for years.  I've assumed it was a flash problem and while I'm much to lazy to adjust the gain on my microphone settings every time; I do make a point to speak quietly and move back from my computer a little whenever I use that tool.  Actually I don't even use the tool any more because the last update for Chrome made it essentially impossible to allow it to load because of Flash.  

It's an extra step, but one work around would be to record your audio comments with a different tool such as audacity, save the file in mp3 format and then use the Upload tab in the media recorder to add it within Speedgrader.  

I guess another possibility would be to use Speedgrader from a mobile device and the Canvas Teacher app.  I think on both iOS and Android you can access the media option and since they use the mobile devices native recording abilities, there isn't an issue with Flash.

Until Canvas updates things so that the Flash tool is not required I don't know of any better methods.  

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Daniel,

I don't have any great suggestions except to say Yes, I've seen the same issue for years.  I've assumed it was a flash problem and while I'm much to lazy to adjust the gain on my microphone settings every time; I do make a point to speak quietly and move back from my computer a little whenever I use that tool.  Actually I don't even use the tool any more because the last update for Chrome made it essentially impossible to allow it to load because of Flash.  

It's an extra step, but one work around would be to record your audio comments with a different tool such as audacity, save the file in mp3 format and then use the Upload tab in the media recorder to add it within Speedgrader.  

I guess another possibility would be to use Speedgrader from a mobile device and the Canvas Teacher app.  I think on both iOS and Android you can access the media option and since they use the mobile devices native recording abilities, there isn't an issue with Flash.

Until Canvas updates things so that the Flash tool is not required I don't know of any better methods.  

Rick