cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joanne_taylor
Community Member

Speedgrader filter by Group?

Jump to solution

I have looked around in the resources and can't find the answer to my question.

I am the senior tutor for a large subject with typically 700-800 students, and 12 tutors.

In Blackboard (used up until last year) we set up a self-enrolled Group for each tutor so they could sort the assignments, only seeing their own student's work, rather than going through all 750 students and checking names on their rolls each time. This cut down on marking time and reduced errors where tutors accidentally entered marks for students not in their tutorials.

Can this be done in Canvas Speedgrader? If so, how?

I have set up the Groups but they don't appear as a filter option in Speedgrader.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@joanne_taylor , groups don’t function in Canvas quite the same way they do in Bb. Short answer is no, you can not sort or organize people in groups like this in Speedgrader. Yet, if you organized students by section in Canvas then you could sort them in the Speedgrader, the gradebook, and could even make it so tutors could only see/interact with their assigned sections (if desired). 

Here are are some guides that will help -

How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12973-4152724200 (This talks about assigning users to sections)

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@joanne_taylor , groups don’t function in Canvas quite the same way they do in Bb. Short answer is no, you can not sort or organize people in groups like this in Speedgrader. Yet, if you organized students by section in Canvas then you could sort them in the Speedgrader, the gradebook, and could even make it so tutors could only see/interact with their assigned sections (if desired). 

Here are are some guides that will help -

How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12973-4152724200 (This talks about assigning users to sections)

Hope this helps!

Kona

Thanks, Kona,

I'll look into it.

Best,

Jo

Jo Taylor

Senior Tutor SOCU1025

GUSS

RMIT University

Hi- we use sections to do this, but just a note of caution that students can potentially see which section they are in (e.g. in people/inbox) so be careful if there is any sensitivity around this!

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Thanks, I have been told how to set Sections up, but I need Admin access to do it. It will be fiddly.

There's no problem with students seeing where they are, but can they look up other students? This would breach privacy, probably.

Jo

Hi - I think there are two places they can potentially see this - if you have the 'people' tab visible to students they can see who is in what section, and also I think they can potentially see this in the inbox as they can select a section in a message and then see which students are in it. In most cases this is ok, but tricky if you use a section for a group with extensions for example, so best to be aware!

I *think* you should be able to do it without admin access.  The quickest way we have found to add students to a section is via the +people option (even though they are already in the course) - you can cut and paste a list of student email addresses and choose the relevant section from the dropdown. This is what our instructors do!

Natalie

@joanne_taylor  &  @natalie_norton1 , the ability to setup sections is completely dependent on how your school does things. Faculty at our school can not setup sections, add students, remove students, etc. Yet, I know faculty at other schools do have these options. You would want to check with the Canvas Admins at your school to know for sure what is and isn't possible/allowed.

As to students being able to look up other students, it depends on what you mean. Technically your students can already do this even without sections using the Canvas Inbox, as well as if you have People enabled or use Discussions, Collaborations, Groups, Peer Reviews, or Announcements (with comments enabled).

Kona

selson
Community Member

Hi Kona.

Similar issue BUT ...

Say I have three tutorials (set up as sections) and have a total of 50 students from 200 spread across the three tute/section groups.

When an assignment is set we expect 200 submissions but I only want to mark the students in my three tutes.

However, I am yet to find a way I can download ONLY the 50 assignments as a zip file.

If I select one of my tute/section groups in the grades section I only see the students in the tute/section. However ...

if I go to "Download Submissions" all 200 assignments are zipped and downloaded.

Downloading each assignment as its marked is a very time consuming and silly way to approach marking  (IMHO).

My question, therefore, is there a way to allow tutors to download ONLY the assignments submitted by their students.

Having to download 200, then delete 150 of them is wasteful of bandwidth, time and patience and can lead to confusion as to which assignments have been submitted and downloaded.

Cheers