cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lathamsprinkle

Splitting the class into groups automatically to assign a reading assignment

Jump to solution

Good afternoon all, 

I'm trying to split the class into two groups using the 'group set' function so that I can set half of the class one piece of reading, and the other half another piece of reading. I'm splitting the class using the 'assign students automatically' function. However, when I do try to assign the assignment to one of the sub-groups I've just created, it comes up as the overall name of the group (i.e. 'Reading Group'), rather than the component halves it's been split into ('Reading Group 1' and 'Reading Group 2'). How can I resolve this? 

Regards

John Latham-Sprinkle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi John,

It sounds like with the Assignment you are checking the box to make it a group assignment.  This functionality is not meant to give an assignment to only one group; rather it's meant so that the assignment can be submitted by group.  You select the Group set, and then when one student from a group submits the assignment it gets submitted for everyone.  I don't think this is what you are trying to do.

The Assign to section at the bottom of the Assignment settings will let you give the Assignment to a subset of your class.  However, you can't select groups for this.  If you instead are able to create Sections, you can select individual sections for the Assignment to accomplish what you are trying to do.  Or you can just select individual names in the Assign To section of the Assignment to manually give it to just a select set of students.

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi John,

It sounds like with the Assignment you are checking the box to make it a group assignment.  This functionality is not meant to give an assignment to only one group; rather it's meant so that the assignment can be submitted by group.  You select the Group set, and then when one student from a group submits the assignment it gets submitted for everyone.  I don't think this is what you are trying to do.

The Assign to section at the bottom of the Assignment settings will let you give the Assignment to a subset of your class.  However, you can't select groups for this.  If you instead are able to create Sections, you can select individual sections for the Assignment to accomplish what you are trying to do.  Or you can just select individual names in the Assign To section of the Assignment to manually give it to just a select set of students.

Rick

Thank you for your help with this- I just ended up splitting the assignment manually.

Kind Regards

John