cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barndn
Community Participant

Stacking Badges

Jump to solution

I saw in Jared Ward's presentation he mentions Stacking Badges - small ones that build to a Mega-Badge.  Do/can the small badges actually get replaced with the Mega one? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jward
Instructure
Instructure

Hey there barndn​,

When I design badges for badge-stacking, I don't revoke the previous badge, I just try to be descriptive in the badge icon and especially the badge description and other data that travels with a badge. That meta-data is what gives a badge it's meaning, level, relevance, etc. (see the open badges anatomy image below for more info.)

You can also use the badge designer in Canvabadges to automatically add levels to a badge (see the examples of stars for levels below). Once a learner earns the next level up for a certain badge, they control which level is shared to their user profile, the Mozilla Backpack and beyond.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.40.39 PM.png

As  @James ​ mentioned, with Canvabadges, a badge can't be revoked and replaced with another one. In my experience, I haven't had a need to revoke a badge, but can understand where it might be necessary.

I hope this helps.

Jared.

open badges anatomy.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

barndn​, I don't believe so, but the best bet is to double check with Jared to see for sure.  @jward ​ - is it possible to replace badges with other badges?

barndn
Community Participant

Thanks!

James
Community Champion

I was watching that video last night and he mentioned that there was no way to delete a badge once it was awarded (at least not with CanvaBadges). That would make it sound like you keep those lesser badges that go into the stacked one. But that's just my interpretation of what he said. Kona's request of Jared will get the definitive answer, though.

jward
Instructure
Instructure

Hey there barndn​,

When I design badges for badge-stacking, I don't revoke the previous badge, I just try to be descriptive in the badge icon and especially the badge description and other data that travels with a badge. That meta-data is what gives a badge it's meaning, level, relevance, etc. (see the open badges anatomy image below for more info.)

You can also use the badge designer in Canvabadges to automatically add levels to a badge (see the examples of stars for levels below). Once a learner earns the next level up for a certain badge, they control which level is shared to their user profile, the Mozilla Backpack and beyond.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.40.39 PM.png

As  @James ​ mentioned, with Canvabadges, a badge can't be revoked and replaced with another one. In my experience, I haven't had a need to revoke a badge, but can understand where it might be necessary.

I hope this helps.

Jared.

open badges anatomy.png

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks  @jward !!

barndn
Community Participant

Thanks Jared!

Sent from my iPhone