Top Navigation menu under construction from 9:30am to 4:30pm MDT. For more information or tips for finding Community content, click here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markus_kellow
Community Participant

Storage Space - how much is there per course?

Jump to solution

Hello Canvas,

I'm wondering how much space total do we get on Canvas?

1GB? 5GB?

I'm at RMIT Melbourne, Australia.

Wondering if it changes pr university or course needs.

My best,

Markus.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @markus_kellow ,

I believe there is a set amount provided by Instructure and then you can request/pay for more. At my university, some of us admin folks have been given permission to increase this amount. You may contact your admin folks to see if they can allocate you more that the 1GB. Now, I suspect that if you need at least 100GB for a course you might need some sort of cloud storage. Now, if you have lots of video, I believe you can upload it into the Canvas media tool and it won't count towards your quota, or at least that is how it works in our instance. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
markus_kellow
Community Participant

I found the answer to my question, it looks like we get 1 GB here at this course. I looked it up in 'course settings' after eventually finding the right question and answer here in this forum.

Well, I need at least 100 GB for my course so will have to get a cloud elsewhere.

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @markus_kellow ,

I believe there is a set amount provided by Instructure and then you can request/pay for more. At my university, some of us admin folks have been given permission to increase this amount. You may contact your admin folks to see if they can allocate you more that the 1GB. Now, I suspect that if you need at least 100GB for a course you might need some sort of cloud storage. Now, if you have lots of video, I believe you can upload it into the Canvas media tool and it won't count towards your quota, or at least that is how it works in our instance. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

markus_kellow
Community Participant

Thanks for your time !! I'll ask them about getting some more.

@markus_kellow ‌, I believe you should be able to integrate both Google Drive and Dropbox into Canvas. Perhaps one of those might be useful?

Thats a good idea. Thanks! We have an old mac server with 1TB but we are always told it wont last long, so it's demise is hard to predict. Just getting ready for the change.