cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scook4
Community Member

Student Data Input for Lab Reports

Greetings!

I've read through the community some and looked at previously asked questions.  What I'm looking to do is the following:

Either:

1.  Students add data they collected to a form, as well as answers to calculations.  Then formulas can be used to calculate whether or not their calculations were done correctly (currently, I manually input their data into Excel and use Formulas from Excel to do the later.  Works great)

2.  Students enter their data and answers to calculations and I export them somehow to Excel.

So I've been looking at what others have wrote.  I understand that currently Quizzes can only use random variables, not student input variables, so here is what I'm looking for in terms of assistance:

1.  An outside app that links to Canvas that can handle that.  I've seen that people suggest looking at them, but noone has really given good apps for this kind of work.  Usual questions I've seen on the forums are asking how students can give their own inputted value (birthdays, etc) and then use the unique data to work problems.  Are there good apps out there that allow for this kind or work?

2.  The best way to gather data up in Canvas that I can easily export to copy and paste onto a precreated Excel document.

I appreciate your input!

Shaun Cook

3 Replies
keene_jd
Community Member

"1.  Students add data they collected to a form, as well as answers to calculations.  Then formulas can be used to calculate whether or not their calculations were done correctly"

Having student input variables for formula questions in the quiz engine would be a real game changer for Canvas. I would very much like to see this capability added (as well as my colleagues at my university - we've had this discussion multiple times).

perolavb
Community Contributor

WIRIS Quizzes have an LTI integration for Canvas. WIRIS | math & science 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@scook4 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie