cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmurdock
Community Participant

Student Editing of Assignments

Jump to solution

I had students start an assignment, but they didn't finish. How do they save that progress, so that they can return to it later to finish and submit? Unfortunately, I had them submit it thinking there would be a way to edit. We thought that was the ReSubmit Assignment, but it just wiped out their answers...Please help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

When student's need to save a draft of their work and develop it overtime before submitting I recommend using the File Upload submission type. Text box submissions are ideal for shorter rich text assignments that can be completed in one sitting. Resubmitting is to make a completely new submission (a great feature when student's accidentally upload their grocery list instead of their term paper and it's 2am!) but the previous submissions are always visible to the instructor.

Allowing students to save a draft of text box assignments is an interesting idea though. You might want to write up exactly how it would ideally work and submit it to the Canvas Feature Ideas​ board for further discussion.

As for your immediate situation; I can think of a few options:

1. Create another assignment

- Close the old assignment, make it ungraded (this will prevent it from effecting student grades and let them view their submission for easy copy/pasting)

- Make a new assignment that is a File Upload submission

- Have students resubmit to the new assignment

2. Change the existing assignment to a File Upload type and just make student resubmit

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

When student's need to save a draft of their work and develop it overtime before submitting I recommend using the File Upload submission type. Text box submissions are ideal for shorter rich text assignments that can be completed in one sitting. Resubmitting is to make a completely new submission (a great feature when student's accidentally upload their grocery list instead of their term paper and it's 2am!) but the previous submissions are always visible to the instructor.

Allowing students to save a draft of text box assignments is an interesting idea though. You might want to write up exactly how it would ideally work and submit it to the Canvas Feature Ideas​ board for further discussion.

As for your immediate situation; I can think of a few options:

1. Create another assignment

- Close the old assignment, make it ungraded (this will prevent it from effecting student grades and let them view their submission for easy copy/pasting)

- Make a new assignment that is a File Upload submission

- Have students resubmit to the new assignment

2. Change the existing assignment to a File Upload type and just make student resubmit

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

jmurdock
Community Participant

Thank you for the idea options and explanations!

If I'm understanding this correctly then, students do not have the option

to save their progress on an Assignment before submitting it or to edit it

after submitting it? Sorry, I'm a My Big Campus switch over, so I'm used to

the save progress idea.

Jennifer Murdock

English Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, dlyons@instructure.com <

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmurdock ​, you are correct. Students do not have the option of saving their progress on an Assignment before submitting it or editing it after submitting it. They also do not have access to previous submissions - only the most current submission. There has been a lot of discussion about students not having access to their previous submissions on this feature idea - .

Also, in addition to the ideas that David came up with, you could also consider using Google Docs. That way the student could submit a link to their Google Doc, but continue working on it and editing it. You could go in and see the revision history to check and see how much was done when, etc.

Hope this helps!

jmurdock
Community Participant

Kona,

Nice idea! Thank you for the information and explanations!

Jennifer Murdock

English Teacher

Sullivan High School

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We use Google Docs a lot and have had a lot of luck with it!

jmurdock
Community Participant

David,

If I do this: 2. Change the existing assignment to a File Upload type and

just make student resubmit

Which I did. Do I need to do anything else? For example, with what they

have already submitted.

Jennifer Murdock

English Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, dlyons@instructure.com <

You don't have to do anything else. When you open SpeedGrader it defaults to the latest submission but lets you go back to earlier submissions if you want/need to.

As long as students know they need to submit a file upload with all the content for the assignment, not just whatever they had remaining, then you're ready to go!

jmurdock
Community Participant

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone