cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmcclain
Community Participant

Student Files Uploaded to Canvas

When a student uploads a file to Canvas where does the file go?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

11 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dmcclain ​,

The file actually goes to the student's Files area of their profile in the unfiled folder.

Robbie

dmcclain
Community Participant

I am logged in as a student to test how a file uploads to Canvas. When I go to the unfiled folder it is not there.

David McClain

@dmcclain ​...

To be clear, after you have attached the file to an Assignment and submitted that Assignment as a student, are you clicking on the student name at the top right corner of your screen?  Once you do that, you'd click on "Files" on the left, and then you'd open the "My Files" >> "unfiled" folders to find the file that you just submitted.

Also, since the subject line and the body of your message are the same, I'm going to rename your subject line and also tag your question with keywords so that it's easier for people to search for...should they have similar questions.  If the modified subject line does not accurate reflect what you are asking in your message, just let one of the Coaches know, and we can work with you to change it.  Thanks!

dmcclain
Community Participant

Yes that is what I am doing but the file is not there.

David McClain

What kind of file extension does it have on it,  @dmcclain ​?  Also, have you tried zipping up the file first, then submitting it to the assignment?  Maybe it's not accepting a particular file format for some reason?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

OK,  @dmcclain ,  @Robbie_Grant , and  @chofer ​, I did a bit of testing on this and here's what I discovered.

• Yesterday, I created a test assignment that allows only one submission type: Media Recordings. This submission type restricts a student to either creating an audio/video directly through the Canvas media recording tool or uploading an already-created audio or video recording. After creating this assignment, I logged in as my Demo Student (not the Test Student) and uploaded a video to the assignment. When I then navigated to Demo's personal files area, the submission did not appear in the unfiled folder.
  • This morning, I changed the submission type on the assignment to allow either Media Recordings or File Uploads (any type). I then logged back in as the Demo Student, submitted a Word file to the assignment, and immediately checked Demo's personal files area again. The file I had just uploaded was in the unfiled folder, right where it should have been.

This makes sense, inasmuch as students' media recordings are not stored in Canvas and do not count against their file storage quota. See: Upload Media File Question

So,  @dmcclain ,  @chofer ​'s question gets to the heart of the matter: Are the file uploads you're using to test this functionality media files or non-media files? Also, are you using the Test Student or an actual fake student (l know it's oxymoronic, but bear with me) to perform the testing?

dmcclain
Community Participant

I am using a real student. Non-media files. We use iPads and upload pages documents and notability document

Sent from my iPhone

@dmcclain , that's a new wrinkle, and I will see what I can do about testing this with a real student from an iPad.

dmcclain
Community Participant

Yes that is correct.

David McClain