cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmerriam
Community Contributor

Student Name

Jump to solution

I want to be able to make a note next to the "official" student names of what the student prefers to be called...in other words, a student's name is "James Smith," but he prefers to be called "J.T. Smith." Is there a way for me to indicate this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

There isn't a way for you, as the teacher, to do this in the People tab (roster). However, this could be a good use of the Notes column in the Gradebook.

Depending on settings, the student might have the ability to adjust his personal settings so his name displays as J.T. instead of James. However, many institutions (including ours) lock this down. But our admins will change it for the student (or teacher) if they ask.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

There isn't a way for you, as the teacher, to do this in the People tab (roster). However, this could be a good use of the Notes column in the Gradebook.

Depending on settings, the student might have the ability to adjust his personal settings so his name displays as J.T. instead of James. However, many institutions (including ours) lock this down. But our admins will change it for the student (or teacher) if they ask.

jmerriam
Community Contributor

Do you happen to know if you can do this in the Gradebook or Attendance roster?

tdelillo
Community Champion

No, there isn't a way for you to edit the students names anywhere in your course. That's why I was suggesting adding that information as a "note" in the Gradebook. It's the only way I can think of (other than having the student adjust the information themselves, in their settings) to note their nickname preferences.