cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitman_11
Community Participant

Student View student has "viewed" the video, so why won't next items unlock?

Jump to solution

My Student View student has viewed the video, so why won't the next items unlock?

Actually, the SV student hasn't viewed it; they have:

• opened a tab for it and closed it
  • opened a tab, clicked through the video in chunks
  • opened a tab and played the whole video on mute while working on other things

But still, the next items won't unlock, even when I refresh the page. Does a student actually need to watch the whole video for real in order to satisfy a "view" requirement? If so, this is really going to make it hard to check how the sequencing requirements are working out in practice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whitman_11
Community Participant

Thank you for your in-depth feedback. I think I've found the problem, but it's not one of the things you listed. For other readers who may be interested, I set up the module requirements so that they had to be done in sequential order. I originally had a prerequisite module specified for this one, but removed that requirement for easier development. 

The problem seems to be the result of two things: (1) The video in question is one I created on YouTube several years ago, and (2) I specified "Open in a new tab" when adding this link to the module. I arrived at this conclusion because: 

1. A video I included in a later module, made more recently on the Canvas-supported platform of Mediasite, and not specified as "Open in a new tab," registered me as having viewed it without a problem.
  2. When I removed the "Open in a new tab" requirement for the problem video, the problem was resolved. 

I noticed that the little boxed arrow indicating an external URL had disappeared from the listing, so I think Canvas was unable to confirm viewing with an external URL. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
James
Community Champion

@whitman_11  

I'm not sure what you mean by "viewed the video." Videos aren't a supported module item. They might be embedded in a content page or you might have them set up as a external link.

Module prerequisites and requirements are trick to troubleshoot without lots of information. If by "next items won't unlock" you mean items in another module, then it might be the prerequisites for the next module that are off. If the items are in the same module, then you need to look at what the requirements are and whether they're required to be sequential. You may have inadvertently chosen "Mark as done" rather than "View the item."

Here are a couple of pages in the Canvas guides that might be useful.

How do I add requirements to a module? 

How do I add prerequisites to a module?  

To help us help you, it would be beneficial to see screen shots of that section of your modules page so we can see what the requirements are and how you have the video configured. For example, this screenshot shows that I need to score at least 0 on one assignment, submit another, and view a third. It's also grayed out so we can see which ones are locked.

313818_pastedImage_6.png

However, it doesn't tell me whether that needs to be done in order. That can be determined by going to the requirements for the module.

313813_pastedImage_4.png

If it's going on to the next module, it would be good to see those prerequisites.

313817_pastedImage_5.png

There may also be dates as prerequisites where modules don't open until a particular time.

Finally, if you try to access the assignment from some place other than the modules page (where it's grayed out) there is often a message that tells you what is not completed and what needs done before you can access that assignment.

313819_pastedImage_7.png

whitman_11
Community Participant

Thank you for your in-depth feedback. I think I've found the problem, but it's not one of the things you listed. For other readers who may be interested, I set up the module requirements so that they had to be done in sequential order. I originally had a prerequisite module specified for this one, but removed that requirement for easier development. 

The problem seems to be the result of two things: (1) The video in question is one I created on YouTube several years ago, and (2) I specified "Open in a new tab" when adding this link to the module. I arrived at this conclusion because: 

1. A video I included in a later module, made more recently on the Canvas-supported platform of Mediasite, and not specified as "Open in a new tab," registered me as having viewed it without a problem.
  2. When I removed the "Open in a new tab" requirement for the problem video, the problem was resolved. 

I noticed that the little boxed arrow indicating an external URL had disappeared from the listing, so I think Canvas was unable to confirm viewing with an external URL. 

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

I'm glad you figured it out.