Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jesseboeding

Student ability to navigate a course

Jump to solution

I'm a student and become so frustrated with the ability to navigate canvas. If I click into a module, when I hit the back button, it doesn't go back to where I was but to some other view. If I click on the top navigation it takes me completely out of the path that I am following. Is there a secret to being able to click into a doc and go back to the list in a folder without searching?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jesseboeding and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I am having a bit of trouble determining exactly where you are in a course and how you are attempting to navigate but this isn't unexpected as Canvas can be configured very differently from class to class and you may be accessing Canvas through a mobile device while I a PC.  When I click in to Modules from my course navigation pane and hit the back button, I am taken to my previous browser window.  If I click into the middle of a Module and at the bottom of the screen select "previous", however, I am taken to the item in the module before the current page and not the last browser window I was on.  

While there are some nuisances with how Canvas navigation works (like some quizzes taking you back to the assignment page when you complete them), generally what navigation buttons are available and how students access the course material is determined by the course instructor.  If there is a Canvas support group at your school, I would suggest you contact them and see if they can provide a suggestion on how to better accomplish what you would like to in the class.  Contacting Canvas Support (question mark icon) is also an option.  Both of these groups could look directly at the class you are in and based on how it is designed provide guidance.  Those of us in the Community are fellow Canvas users at institutions around the world, so do not have access to your classes specifically, which would be of great benefit here.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jesseboeding and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I am having a bit of trouble determining exactly where you are in a course and how you are attempting to navigate but this isn't unexpected as Canvas can be configured very differently from class to class and you may be accessing Canvas through a mobile device while I a PC.  When I click in to Modules from my course navigation pane and hit the back button, I am taken to my previous browser window.  If I click into the middle of a Module and at the bottom of the screen select "previous", however, I am taken to the item in the module before the current page and not the last browser window I was on.  

While there are some nuisances with how Canvas navigation works (like some quizzes taking you back to the assignment page when you complete them), generally what navigation buttons are available and how students access the course material is determined by the course instructor.  If there is a Canvas support group at your school, I would suggest you contact them and see if they can provide a suggestion on how to better accomplish what you would like to in the class.  Contacting Canvas Support (question mark icon) is also an option.  Both of these groups could look directly at the class you are in and based on how it is designed provide guidance.  Those of us in the Community are fellow Canvas users at institutions around the world, so do not have access to your classes specifically, which would be of great benefit here.

I hope this helps and best wishes!