cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmerriam
Community Contributor

Student comments on closed assignments

In my 2 online public speaking classes, I assign students to submit their speeches to the Discussion Board on different dates (so I don't get bombarded with 56 videos to watch all at once!). I also assign them to watch 2 other students' speeches and do a peer review, but NOT using the Canvas Peer Review function. I set up a separate assignment for the reviews, which they submit to me after they've cut-and-pasted it into the "Reply" box under the other student's video. That way, the students can see the reviews and I can grade them.

The problem is that after one group of students' videos are locked, no on can reply to them.

Example: Susie and 5 others submit their videos on the due-date of 10/10.  Billy goes to look at the videos to do his peer reviews on 10/14, but all the students whose speeches were on 10/10 have their "Reply" button grayed out. Billy can only review speeches whose dates haven't been locked yet.

Is there any way around this??

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
gpillsbury
Community Participant

I assume by "locked" you mean that the Until date is set for the first bunch of students?  Is that right?

jmerriam
Community Contributor

Yes, that's correct. However, that brings up something: I've always set the "Due date" and "Until" for the same date...could that be what's fouling me (my students) up? Should I not enter an "until" date at all, and just use the due-date?

gpillsbury
Community Participant

In this situation, yes, I would recommend not using the Until date for the activity, since you have two different due dates but you want all students to be able to participate with all the posts.  In this approach, you won't be able to prevent a late submission by the first group, but you can at least track a late post in SpeedGrader via the due date.  Keeping the Until field blank (or at least making it open longer) will allow both groups to respond to all posts.