Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ian9

Student email notification not working?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone! I'm working with the API to enrol students but the students never get emails on user creation and course enrollment.

Here's the APIs I use and the data passed to them:

API: POST /v1/accounts/{account_id}/users

const data = {
    "user[name]": name,
    "pseudonym[unique_id]": email,
    "pseudonym[sis_user_id]": email,
    "pseudonym[send_confirmation]": true
};

API: POST /v1/courses/{course_id}/enrollments

const data = {
    "enrollment[user_id]": userId,
    "enrollment[type]": "StudentEnrollment",
    "enrollment[enrollment_state]": "active",
    "enrollment[notify]": "true",
    "enrollment[limit_privileges_to_course_section]": "true"
};

Note that I'm on test environment. Please help!

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

In the notes section of the Canvas Admin Guide lesson: How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin?, there is a statement that says, "Notifications, including course invitations and report downloads, cannot be sent in the test environment."

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ian9  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you aren't following this group, please use the link that I have provided.  Then, click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of that page.  Also, you'll want to click on the "Actions" button (also at the top right corner), and then click on "Join group".  I hope this will help a bit, Ian.  Good luck to you!

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

In the notes section of the Canvas Admin Guide lesson: How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin?, there is a statement that says, "Notifications, including course invitations and report downloads, cannot be sent in the test environment."

I almost included that in my reply, but I am glad that you chimed in and confirmed that,  @James  Nice Work!

Thanks  @James ‌! 

"Notifications, including course invitations and report downloads, cannot be sent in the test environment."

Would be great if this note is also added in What is the Canvas test environment?

@ian9 ...

You could always make that suggestion at the bottom of the Guide that you linked to.  The Canvas Docs Team will review your recommendation to see if it would make sense to add a note to that Guide.  They are very good about responding to our feedback on their Guides.