cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilma_chapman
Community Participant

Student enrollment issue

Hi everyone, I have a group of students that have been manually enrolled onto a course (asking on behalf of the teacher here). All bar one student have accepted the invitation and have joined/ set up accounts. 1 student however hasn't and therefore not a user or contributing to the course. Several invites resends have happened to no avail. Is there a way to overwrite this and accept on behalf of the student as they are falling behind? We don't have SIS imports currently, so that's not the problem and other students have accepted. Any help as always greatly appreciated.

Wilms

#studentenrolment #studentaccess 

19 Replies

I think the confusion here is that if the student's account already exists (due to creation through SIS feed, or due to accepting a previous course invite), and is invited to to a course, the account is already visible and can be masqueraded.  However, if this is the student's first time in the system, and you don't have an SIS feed creating your users, then it would be invisible until the student accepts the invite.  The account is visible only to Instructure, and can't be interacted with by any school admins.

The account is visible only to Instructure

Thank you for adding that clarification,  @abunag ‌! With that in mind,  @wilma_chapman , and given this relatively unusual use case, I recommend that you ask Canvas Support to accept the student's course invitation as a one-off (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10158-4152719652?sr=search&searchId=dd167c86-3747-4dde-91f3...‌).

abunag
Community Champion

I've actually tried to get Canvas Support Tier 1 to interact with those accounts, and they're usually very reluctant to do so.  They wouldn't even confirm what email addresses they were seeing - their logic was that since I couldn't see it myself, I wasn't authorized to know that information.  It may have just been that one support person though.

kevinw
Community Contributor

You can actually manually enroll your students without them needing to accept an invitation via the API. I don't know if you have any experience with this or if you have someone in your institution who does. But I've done it before and it works like a charm. 

nr2522
Community Champion

Good thinking,  @kevinw ‌. Since you mention that, I'll bring up SIS Import via CSV upload, which requires less technical skill: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation.

kevinw
Community Contributor

To each his own I suppose. My organization doesn't use an SIS, so the API Post is much easier for me. 

nr2522
Community Champion

Despite the name, SIS Import doesn't have to use a SIS. Any method of creating a CSV file, including manually typing it out in Excel or Notepad (been there...) will work. The CSV can be manually uploaded by users with proper admin rights. Automated upload is also a possibility. Which reminds me, I should have included this link: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10895#jive_content_id_SIS_Imports

tross
Community Champion

We use it with our SIS but also really useful for large courses not created through SIS.  Eliminates those students who 'accidentally' reject the course and you have to add them again.  I get requests for these regularly from large organizations at our high schools that are not courses.

kevinw
Community Contributor

Oh that's awesome. I can see some very clear advantages to using that over an API post, especially when enrolling multiple people in a course. 

direccion
Community Member

At my school we do the same, we send a link to prospective students and they have to follow that link to register themselves in the platform and enroll in the course. If anyone does not click on that link we asume they do not want to enroll; we send reminders one or twice but if the link is there and no one follows it,  there is no other way to register them. 

Of course we can mascarade as the students and enroll them using their email address or user name but this is not useful since that particular person would never log in. Sometimes is not the system fault.